Chapter Twenty-Five: Guardian of Flame

7 long years have passed and Ichigo was still not use to the many flights of stairs he has to go down and up to get to places. The main building, the palace of the Realm of Flames, was actually a volcano! Magma cracks decorated the obsidian walls along with some lanterns and large falls of lava can be seen through the heat-resistant glass. No normal person, weather human or soul reaper or espada, can survive the heat of Realm of Flames. Fortunately, Orihime and Kazui did fine as they were Ichigo's family and people that have successful merged with his essence. Don't ask what that means.

Ichigo turned to look behind him when he heard another pair of footsteps approach him.

Someone with the palest complexion that would sickly to others and hasn't tanned ever since they've been in the Realm of Flames. Dressed in a white outfit with slight moderation of adding the colors that represent the respective realm: gold and orange. Black eyes with yellow pupils stared at him silently but with respect and determination, like his own. A person that looks exactly like Ichigo.

Hichigo Shirosaki. Also Ichigo's right hand person.

Still in mourning of losing Zangetsu, Ichigo remember Hichigo too and immediately meditated into his inner realm just in time to see flame phoenixes try to erase Hichigo out of existence. The latter was fighting with everything he had to keep them at bay, but was tiring quickly. Ichigo appeared suddenly and ordered the flame birds to leave him be. The leader of the flock said Hichigo couldn't stay unless he had your essence and approval to stay within his subconscious. At the time, Ichigo didn't know what the bird meant, but the hollow did. With a big argument and slight uncomfortable time, Hichigo was allowed to remain and he even got to have his own physical body later on but they were still connected mentally.

"Thinking about something, King?" Hichigo asked the other while walking with him.

"Mostly about the past 7 years," Ichigo replied. "So many things have changed, I've learnt a lot about flames and spells, and the role I play. It's stressful."

"Well, you were King before, now it's real and bigger responsibility. You've survived this far."

"True enough. I just hope Toshiro, Byakuya, and Shuhei are doing fine too."

"Can't ya send a messenger phoenix to em?"

"Yes, but..."

They would have to go through inspection of many things before they could send a messenger bird to another realm. Ichigo would also have to use spells and flame types to accommodate the realm the bird was going to so it could survive. Toshiro's realm and Ichigo's realm, well the people, don't like each other that much. The irony is that ice flame is a thing. Of course flame melts ice, water can put out ice, but lightning can start fires and they allow the sky people to join. Byakuya's people don't like flames that much either.

"It would take a while," was all Ichigo said in the end.

Hichigo sighed mentally. Why did people and politics have to be so fickle?

"I heard that you know."

"Good, maybe it should teach ya about how politics can ruin everything."

"Without it, I wouldn't be King now would I?"

"Whatever..."

The two arrived at the council room at the very bottom of the volcano. A giant circle obsidian table with obsidian chairs that have golden plush pillows for comfort and the map of the realm decorated onto the table. 

Hiromen, the lead Councilor of Flames, was sitting on the left side of Ichigo's respective chair, which is actually a replica of the throne--just without the jewels--not too far from the table. Hiroman was a tall, muscular, man with tanned skin, dark brown hair that reached to his mid back, and round amber eyes. He wore a orange shirt with golden designs, black pants and black boots. His sunset colored coat hung on the back of his chair while he was looking at the map intensely. His concentration was broken when he heard their approach.

"Your Highness and Lord, glad you could make it," Hiromen greeted.

"What's going on Lord Hiromen?" Ichigo asked.

"It's actually about the Realm of the Dead. My spy just came back to deliver the news."

"Is Shuhei alright?"

"The Guardian of the Underworld has attacked his realm a few months ago. Fortunately, he and his trusted warriors and guards were able to keep their part of the Underworld safe. Unfortunately, they suffered a lot of casualties because of it."

"Bet he attacked em because he was closest and thought he was ta weakest," Hichigo said.

"And the fact that it's hard to get into the Underworld without Guardian Zarmenthy's permission," Hiromen added.

Ichigo looked at the map on the table absent-minded. Shuhei just got attacked and it's only been seven years! None of them are that prepared for the upcoming battle and many know this. They have only scratched the surface of their role and lives as Guardians, how were they going to beat an experienced Guardian that has had a million and more years of training? They might as well be handing themselves to their enemy on a gold platter with sauce and garnisheeing.

"Hey, King! Before ya get yer hopes down. There is a way."

Ichigo looked at the albino silently.

"Not only is this plan going to involve more training on all of yer parts, ta area is completely neutral to anything involving feuds with other realms."

Ichigo looked at him confused. "What place would that be, Shiro?"

"He means the Astral Plane Garden," Hiromen said. "There many Guardians can meet and talk about each others' realms freely. If any fighting should happen there, they are immediately kicked out and can only return after their petty feud is over. It's a place also full of opportunities to study and practice your magic to advance even further."

"Really? So, we can all meet there and discuss our plan of action without interruption?"

"Yes, that's where enemies are forgotten and no violence will be tolerated. However, you can only enter the garden for that reason if there is truly a war going on between the realms mentioned. Also you have to get an invitation and of course you must be a Guardian."

Ichigo looked at Hichigo, who nodded silently.

"I know how to watch over ya kingdom, so you can leave it to me."

True, this was the only other thing he took seriously besides watching over Ichigo's family too while he is somewhere else or too busy with realm work. 

"How do we get an invitation?" Ichigo asked the councilor.

"Leave that to me, I can get you an invitation for you and I'll send a messenger bird with invitations for your friends too."

"Thank you, Hiromen, you are a life saver!"

The councilor smiled and nodded. 

"Anything to keep my lord and highness content and free of worry."

Next Chapter: What is happening in the Realm of the Dead?

(Yes, I changed the plans because I could not come up with a chapter for Byakuya yet...My bad😖 )