Three: Benedict Arnold is a Man Who's Best Friend is a Musket

His eyes widen, "You're joking, there's no way..."

"What were you expecting to be the reason?" I snap, "You must've expected this somehow!"

Kyle looks at me indignantly but then looks away, he sighs deeply. "You're right, I just didn't want to believe it." He says in defeat. "And anyways, how do you propose we prevent it?" He asks.

"We go see him, and we use all measures necessary." I say, almost automatically and without thinking.

Kyle looks at me in disbelief, before sighing again, "You may've become best friends with a Phantom, but I've become best friends with a loop who's more than a little fruity." He says. I punch his shoulder playfully, knowing he doesn't really mean it. Then I remember the Johnnycake I'd saved for Maggie, I tear it into two parts, not wanting her to choke while eating the whole thing. I give her the first part, when she's done I give her the last, she licks her lips when finished. I look back at Kyle, surprised to see the Johnnycake that gets shoved into my face.

"What's this?" I ask.

"A Johnnycake," Kyle answers wryly.

I roll my eyes, "I mean, why is it in my face?"

"You have it," He says.

I blink, "But why? You're bigger than me, you need it more than me." I say.

"Yes, but I'm the one who's had training since I was four and doesn't have as big a sweet tooth as you." He replies, putting the cake into my hand.

I look at it for a few seconds before splitting it in half and giving him a half and taking the other half for myself, "Thanks, Kyle." I tell him.

He grins back, making me grin too. His happy expressions are becoming more contagious than usual. We spend a little while around town, seeing in detail how life in the 1770's was. It's nice, everyone just feels so... close yet they're respecting boundaries at the same time. In the future, most people are a little too busy to stop and greet people or be as lively.

"Hey, Jerry, we should get going, it's already getting late, and dark." Kyle says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I look at remaining townspeople that haven't left yet, the houses all showing yellow light glowing from their windows. I'm amazed at this; they used lamps for light instead of solar-powered light bulbs? Oh, wait, this is the 1770's, solar-powered light bulbs weren't made until 2020.

"Yeah, sorry, I wanted to savor this for as long as I could. You know, because there's a good chance we'll have to tell Benedict the truth, not to mention what happens when we get back. If we get caught, we might be put in jail, though there's not a high chance of that since we'll be changing history anyway." I reply, starting to walk down the road out of town, the way we'd originally come from.

"I know what you mean, save for the jail part. I sincerely hope that we don't get caught, changing history or not." He says.

I go into thought, if we get caught and put into jail, will the Phantoms do anything about it? They'll probably be disappointed that even though he ran away he gets put into jail not long after. I feel guilty; I never should've made him come along...

"Kyle, I'm really sorry." I tell him quietly. He looks at me in confusion, but then gets a look of realization on his face and looks guilty, but he shouldn't feel guilty.

"I didn't mean it like that! I'm glad I came." He says, trying to make up for something.

"You have nothing to be guilty about, I basically forced you to come along, and you've spent the whole time making sure neither of us got hurt. What've I been doing? Being useless and having a stupid notion to go see my ancestor." I sigh despondently.