Four: Back to the Future with a Super-Human Spy Brother Waiting

The next thing I know I'm on my back in something familiarly comfortable and something wet is licking my face... Wait, this animalistic scent mixed with the unique smell of powder is familiar... Maggie! I open my eyes, meeting big brown eyes and a panting tongue, so it is Maggie!

"Maggs, hey girl." I say as I sit up, ruffling her fur. I look around, surprised to find myself in my room, dressed in my normal clothes (the ones I'd time-traveled in), including the dog-ears. Kyle's sleeping in his bed, also in his normal clothes and dog-ears, but he looks so worn out that I don't want to bother waking him. I wonder what I've missed, I think. I check the time and date on my watch, it's 2 o'clock in morning Monday morning. The first thing I do is go over to the computer and look up Benedict, everything that pops up is about a war-hero. I feel relieved, as if everything in the world is close enough to right.

It's then that I remember about my paper due to Mr. Kendall. I panic, but then open up a Word Document, 2213 version, and start typing away. My outline and rough draft are useless, because those were written before I changed the past. I think about what I've learned about him in class and from what I found online, picking out all of the traitor-details and remember what he was like when we saw him.

"Jerry, what are you doing up so early?" I hear a sleepy voice ask.

"Doing my essay on Benedict, we changed the past remember?" I tell him, still typing.

"Wait, that wasn't a dream?" He asks, sounding more awake. I sigh, opening the X-Act search page, showing all of the results for Benedict Arnold. "We really did it, huh?" He asks quietly, I turn around, afraid he's regretting what we've done, but there's a small, almost fond, smile on his face.

"Yeah," I tell him, my voice also quiet. "Why don't you get some sleep, you must be really tired." I tell him.

"No way, I've already slept once with you still being awake, I'm not going back to sleep until I'm sure you get some yourself, you haven't slept in like two days, you're already looking like you're going to get bags under your eyes." He says stubbornly, pulling out a hover-chair and sitting on it.

"Well, I'm going to stay up until I finish this, you can do what you want." I say, but I'm secretly glad he's staying up with me.

"Hey, Jerry, how do you think we ended up in our future clothes?" Kyle asks.

"Maybe bringing things back from the 1770's to this time was too much for that old machine, so we ended up losing our old clothes, but I don't know how we got back into our future shirts, maybe a monitor doing night-checks put them on?" I suggest, fixing a spelling error in the essay.

"This may sound a little weird, but I don't remember how I came back." Kyle says suddenly.

I stop typing, "What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't remember what happened after I sent you back, and I checked the PDA, it showed that both your and Maggie's prints had been recognized, but mine hadn't. The only explanation for me being back here then would be that someone must've done it from Room 0-1, but that would mean someone would've had to be watching us." He says.

I feel a chill run down my spine, "Why don't we talk about this later?" I suggest, "I mean, having a freaky thought like that while writing an important essay?"

"You're right," Kyle sighs. A silence only filled with the sound of mouse-clicks and keyboard-taps slowly envelops us. "Hey," Kyle starts.

"Mm?" I hum in response.

"If Benedict's not a traitor anymore, that must mean that you've got more friends now, doesn't it?" Kyle asks.

I stop typing, thinking about it. "Probably," I say, "But I'm never going to forget about my past, it's not something I can forget about, even if I wanted to. And even if I have friends, they're not my best friends." I tell him, giving him a smile before going back to typing.