Two: My Best Friend is an Awesome Super-Human Secret Agent

"Sorry, sir, for landing quite flashily and unexpectedly in your study, we'll be going now." Kyle says, bowing before putting me over his shoulder and jumping out the open window. I give a little scream as we fall, hearing the man's surprised shout that soon turns furious. Kyle lands somehow unharmed. He then begins to run as if his life depends on it but doesn't look like he's exhausting that much energy. After a little while of running he stops, finally putting me down.

"What was that about?" I ask, shaken to my very core. Who exactly is my best friend?

"That man, I'm surprised you didn't recognize, was your ancestor: Benedict Arnold. But he's known for his hot-headedness and short temper, even if he's brilliant, his mood should be foul at the moment, considering we've just arrived only few days after the trial which left him not guilty for a lot of things, but not enough to escape a light reprimand from Washington." He explains.

"That man with the caveman-weapon was Benedict?" I ask in surprise, then shake my head, "Kyle, I can't wait any longer, you've got to tell me, who are you?"

He looks at me with something akin to slight hurt, but nods. "You were right about the remarks you'd said about my abilities. Have you heard the name 'Phantom'?" He asks.

"Yes, they're an old group that used to protect the American president from the inside. Why are you bringing this up?" I ask, getting an idea of what he's getting to.

His lips press into a thin line, "Well, they've not stopped protecting the president, and Phantom isn't a group name, it's a surname." He says, my eyes widen as I realize.

"Kyle Phantom." I say in realization, "You're supposed to protect the president?" I ask in shock.

"Remember how I'd told you that I'd also made a decision that I'd felt was right, but had no reason to explain it?" He asks, all I can do is nod. "Well, I've been training since I was four on how to protect the president, I only had my mom and older brother to hold onto, they did a good job of raising me Phantom-style, but it's different without a father." I realize why he didn't want me to raise Maggie alone, "I grew up with the code of knowing that I was only here for protecting the president, from all threats. Never in any Phantom code or scripture passed down through the ages has it ever said that a Phantom can be their own person..." He explains.

"And you wanted to get away," I say in understanding.

He nods, "So I ran away, I knew that they wouldn't come after me because they had my brother, even if I'd stayed I probably just would've been an extra-Phantom to guard the president, they already have enough."

I look at him, not knowing what to say. Yes, I've heard tons of life-stories from people at TTBS (though they weren't telling me solely, it was on introduction day), usually the students and staff who attend it have some kind of difficulty in their life that led them there. If you can count having a widow mother and being shunned and/or bullied by society while technically only ever having three real friends (Kyle included) a hard life, then yes, I have– had one too. But I came here because I was drawn to the school, I've always liked history, and to go to such a historical school had been a dream of mine for a while.

"Come sit with Maggie and mommy," I say patting the ground next to me and taking Maggie out and setting her down. Kyle sighs before sitting down, looking almost like he's finally being able to sit in the big comfy chair at home after a long day of work. I feel guilty that he's had to take care of me the whole time, "Try sleeping, I'll wake you up at," I look at my watch, it should've changed the time and date to match this era's, "6 o'clock, we can go into town and get some clothes to match the peoples' and hopefully we can sucker some food as well." I tell him.