23

• ad·mit [ədˈmit] - confess to (a crime or fault, or one's responsibility for it) •

"I've committed a terrible crime."

Jimin's eyebrows furrow together as Jeongguk glances towards the floor, a faraway look engulfing his features. Jimin clenches his hands together in his lap as he clears his throat to regain Jeongguk's attention.

"Crime?" Jimin lightly places his hand on Jeongguk's bicep, urging him to continue.

A deep breath echoes through the room, bouncing off the walls, followed by the nervous tapping of a foot against the hardwood floors. The clock in the hall making a continuous ticking sound filling the void of silence.

Suddenly Jeongguk speaks up, his voice gentle and quiet, "When I was 13...I killed my parents..." His voice drifts off so much that Jimin barely catches the last part but when it processes his eyes widen in surprise.

"K-killed?" Jimin's knuckles turn white as he clenches his hands tighter, trying to stop them from shaking. Jeongguk nods silently.

"They were driving, we had this little red car, I was insisting that they look at this funny trick I could do and wouldn't stop bugging them until they looked....they didn't see the truck stopping...we were going so fast...everything was suddenly so small..." Jeongguk grabs one of Jimin's hands in his own and squeezes tightly, trying to hold off the memory.

"Jeongguk, it wasn't your fault—"

"Yes it was! If I hadn't insisted, if I hadn't begged them to look at me instead of the road they would be alive! I...I killed them, Jimin," Jeongguk's voice cracks on his last word.

Jimin stares straight into Jeongguk's eyes, not letting him look away. "Listen to me. It wasn't your fault. It was an accident. Accidents happen all the time, it wasn't your fault."

Jeongguk just shakes his head, guilt consuming him as he remembers the lifeless bodies in the front seat and the echoing screams of his brother.

"My brother and I got split up after that. I don't even know where he is...and then I got into this accident and everything came back to me..." Jeongguk lets his head fall onto Jimin's shoulder and allows the tears to flow free, momentarily forgetting that he was supposed to be comforting Jimin, not the other way around.

Jeongguk awkwardly coughs and wipes away his own tears, quickly sputtering out, "I'm sorry, this isn't supposed to be about me. Let's forget about this." He plasters a fake smile onto his face and is met with a frown across Jimin's features. Jimin crosses his arms stubbornly.