59: R u n!

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia makes a daring escape from the grounder tunnels but has to forego her morals in the process

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia makes a daring escape from the grounder tunnels but has to forego her morals in the process. As she tries to return to the drop-ship to warn her people of their impending disaster, she is caught in a trap and comes face to face with a vicious grounder]!

The first thing I was aware of was the cold wind.

I felt the chilly breeze tickle my ears and taint my cheeks as it rushed by my face. Then, my body began to come back to life. I felt something hard and leathery beneath my legs and something soft and furry over my shoulders. My balance was constantly teetering and my muscles were being mercilessly jarred.

The furious pounding of a horse's hooves broke through my stupor and reached my ears. I heard the wind wailing, the cobblestones bouncing across a hard, gravelly path, the frequent snorting of a steed.

I gasped and sat straight up, my eyes wide open and my mind cleared and invigorated.

I found myself nestled in a pile of furs that were on the broad back of a horse. The bone-studded reins that encircled the steed's neck and mouth jingled with every step it took. Behind me was the figure of a grounder. His face was covered with a mask; his belt was girded with weapons. One of his gloved hands was around my waist and the other was holding the reins.

Before I had time to figure out what was going on, the horse broke through the forest tree-line before us and into a clearing. The grounder tugged hard on the reins, slowing the horse down to a halt.

The grounder leaped down from the large steed before turning around and clamping his large hands around my waist. He picked me up and set me down firmly on the solid dirt floor.

I stared at him for a moment, recognising him as the warrior who had cut me down from the trap I had stupidly walked into. Not knowing where I was or if I could trust him, I cast a quick furtive glance around the clearing.

A small campfire graced the middle of the swept-out area. A rag lined with kebabs lay near the crackling flames and a pile of kindling was stacked up on the opposite side.

The shadowy form of a boy squatting on a log was outlined by the dancing light radiating from the fire. As soon as he saw me, he stood up and stepped forward.

My mouth fell open in shock.

"Oh my god! Finn! Finn!" I cried out as I rushed towards him. Leaping forward, I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face in his shoulder.

Finn let out a small sigh as he rubbed circles against my back with his thumbs. Drawing away, he pressed a light kiss against my forehead and sent me a small smile, "It's okay, Princess, I'm alright."

Tears of relief sprang into my eyes. "B-but how ...?"

Finn nodded over my shoulder towards the grounder behind me. "Lincoln saved me."