21: T h e K i s s o f a n E n e m y

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia runs into a grounder during her escapade from the tunnels

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia runs into a grounder during her escapade from the tunnels. She gets captured before she can get very far but then Bellamy and Jasper come to the rescue. The three of them start walking back to the drop-ship which is a few days' distance away].

"Are you sure you're feeling okay, O?"

At the sound of my brother's concerned tone, I glanced up at him from my reclined position by the fire and nodded. "I'm fine, Bell. Stop worrying, okay?"

Bellamy gritted his teeth and averted his eyes from me as he shrugged. "I'm your brother, O, it's my job to worry."

I chuckled lightly and slapped him playfully on the knee. "Relax, Bell, we're safe now."

I leaned backwards, my eyes landing on Jasper's sleeping form as I did so. I smiled to myself as I reached over and adjusted the thin cotton blanket that was wrapped around his still body.

As I turned my gaze back towards the dancing flames of the fire, I heaved a deep sigh of contentment.

Bellamy, Jasper and I had exited the vicinity of the grounders as quickly and as silently as possible. We knew we were being watched, in fact, I even saw a few shadows moving throughout the trees as we walked. Why they did not attack us, I will never know. They must've been under orders that were not be disobeyed. I was just glad that we made it out of there in one piece.

According to Bellamy, it was only after everyone had returned to the drop-ship did they realise that I was nowhere to be seen. Of course, this got Bellamy extremely worried. Without waiting for further advice from Clarke, Bellamy selected ten of his most trusted cohorts and organised them into search parties.

While Raven, Finn and the others were busy devising a solution to let the Ark know of our existence, Bellamy and his crew scouted the woods for miles in every direction. However, everyone reconvened back at the drop-ship by dusk, unsuccessful and empty-handed.

By this time, Bellamy was frantic with worry. He refused to give up and get some sleep like the others were willing to do. He continued to search and call for me all night long. During his long and lonely night-time trek, Raven finally completed her plan for communing with the Ark.

Bellamy didn't explain it very well because he wasn't fully aware of the details. All he knew was that Raven had managed to devise some launchers from the rocket blazers that were on the pod that she'd come down in. They shot straight up into the sky and flamed and sparked off in hues of all different colours once they hit the atmosphere. Bellamy didn't doubt that everyone within a hundred mile radius could've seen them. But that was the idea. They were supposed to be seen by the people up in the Ark; to let them know that we were alive, all one hundred of us.