6: W e' r e N o t A l o n e

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Finn, Clarke, Dustin, Bryce, Jasper, Monty and Octavia have been trekking for hours through rough terrain, intent on reaching Mount Weather

[PREVIOUSLY: Finn, Clarke, Dustin, Bryce, Jasper, Monty and Octavia have been trekking for hours through rough terrain, intent on reaching Mount Weather. Along the way they see a mutated deer and come across a river; a river that contains an under-water beast; a beast that's headed straight for Octavia]!

I barely had enough time to let out a scream of terror before the blood-sucking jaws of the monstrous beast closed around my legs.

"OCTAVIA!" I heard Jasper's screech of horror before I was dragged beneath the murky depths of the river.

Bubbles of air erupted from my nose and mouth as I tried desperately to escape from this hungry, carnivorous animal. I thrashed my arms around wildly, hitting out at the creature, but to no avail. It's mouth, bared with sucking pads and sharp, barbarian teeth began to envelop my body. It was intent on swallowing me whole!

This can't be happening. This can't be happening. Not after everything I've been through ...

Thoughts and memories and scenes and incidents flashed through my brain at lightning speed. I knew my time was up. I was going to die.

PLONK.

The sound of a large rock hitting the surface of the water reached my ears in a loud ripple effect. I turned my head in the direction of the noise, surprised and confused.

However, the eel-like beast that was devouring me didn't think twice before letting me go. It shot off in the direction of the splash.

My eyes widened as I realised what it had been. A distraction.

Adrenaline pounding through my veins, I kicked my arms and legs and made my way up to the surface of the water. My head burst through the waves and I gasped for air.

"Octavia!" Clarke exclaimed. "Quickly, get out of the water."

"It - it's coming back!" Jasper squealed.

"Octavia hurry!" Monty urged.

With as much force as I could muster, I pushed myself towards the bank of the river. I glanced back over my shoulder, fear swelling up within me as I saw the monster returning. I was never going to make it in time.

SPLASH.

Suddenly, without warning, Jasper was in the water with me. Grabbing one of my arms and slinging it over his neck, he pulled me rapidly towards shore. Once we both were within reach of the others, they leaned down and hauled us back onto dry ground.

The beast careened out of the water, but we were too far out of its' reach. It landed back into the river with a terrific splash of waves and then it was gone.

I collapsed on the ground, panting heavily. The urgency of the situation was wearing off and now I could feel a throbbing pain in my right thigh. With a groan I lifted my head and stared down at my sore spot.