42: C r a s h - L a n d i n g

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: A fight breaks out between the grounders and Skikru, resulting in Aidan defying Heda to save Octavia's life

[PREVIOUSLY: A fight breaks out between the grounders and Skikru, resulting in Aidan defying Heda to save Octavia's life. In the meanwhile, the representatives from the camp escape only to learn that by the actions of a treacherous Diana Sydney, their fate is sealed].

Darkness had fallen upon the once-peaceful serenity of earth. The threat of impending war from an enemy much stronger and more powerful than us was enough to send fear pummelling through the veins of even our bravest. The fact that no reinforcements and no back-up supplies were arriving from the Ark made our situation look that much bleaker.

The 100 innocent prisoners who stepped off that drop-ship into a greenery-layered paradise were now 96 armed and bruised delinquents, preparing for an inevitable end: death.

Unable to sleep, I took first watch at the gate that night with Zoe and Bryce. As our shift rolled to an end, the two sleepily stumbled to their tents, but I remained put. I could not, would not, rest. There had to be some explanation for all of this - some reason! I had seen the other side of the grounders and I refused to shake off my impending instinct for a mere hatred that was going to get me nowhere.

Why did Anya trick us into coming to the bridge? To kill us? To take us alive? Why did Aidan shoot his own commander ... to save me? Surely he'd be considered a traitor now, unfit to live. I shuddered to think of what the grounders might do to him. But, on the other hand, if they were so savage and untrustworthy, then why, when I entered TonDC, did I see families, friendship, happiness, even love?

No one else was prepared to see things from their perspective. No one else was really willing to give them a second chance ... Except for me.

I needed to get answers to the questions that were swarming throughout my brain. I needed to find Aidan.

My head lolled to the side and my heavy eyes began to close.

Maybe, just maybe, I would be able to thank Aidan for his chivalry in person ...

A sudden burst of bright light flashed across the sky, startling me into wakefulness. With a surprised gasp, I sat straight up and tipped my head back, my eyes scanning the night-time canvas above me.

A streak of purplish white light lit up the darkness, bathing the camp in it's eerie glow.

Struggling to my feet, I stared, wide-eyed, at the light as it careened closer and closer towards the earth.

What the heck? T-that can't be a meteorite ... oh my god. That's the exodus ship! I suddenly realised.

I continued to watch as the light, blinking on and off, revealed a grey metallic spacecraft. It was falling heavily through the atmosphere and being guided in a direction that was just over the distant knolls sitting in between us and Mount Weather.