9: T h e R e s c u i n g B u s i n e s s

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy catches Octavia, Finn, Dustin and Bryce as they try to leave camp

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy catches Octavia, Finn, Dustin and Bryce as they try to leave camp. Clarke and Wells join them in their search for Jasper but not before they force Monty, Dustin and Bryce to drop out and stay behind. Octavia and Finn are witnesses to the growing tension between Clarke and Bellamy, who has foolishly left Murphy behind to take charge].

"These guys aren't just bullies, Clarke, they're dangerous criminals."

This was the fifth time that Wells had uttered that sentence in the last half hour alone.

I heaved an irritated sigh as I turned to Finn who was walking beside me. "Wells is really starting to grate on my nerves," I grumbled under my breath.

"Tell me about it," Finn muttered and shook his head.

Up ahead of us, in the lead, was Clarke accompanied by Wells. Bellamy, his senses on high alert, trailed after us at the rear.

Finn glanced over his shoulder at Bellamy and frowned.

"W-what is it?" I questioned as I, too, cast a hurried look towards my brother.

"Since when was Bellamy in the rescuing business?" he raised his eyebrows at me.

I shrugged. "I dunno. W-why do you ask?"

"Bellamy doesn't care about Jasper; he barely even knows him," Finn bit his lip in thought. "So why on earth did he agree to come with us? To impress Clarke? To prove himself? I think he's already done that."

"What? You think he wants to cause us trouble?" I tried to keep the disbelieving tremor from showing in my voice.

Finn shook his head. "Not us. Them," he nodded towards Clarke and Wells. "If I'm not mistaken, Bellamy wants the Ark to think that their precious little prince and princess are dead. He doesn't want the others up there to think we're alive. He doesn't want them to come down here."

"B-but why?"

Finn shrugged. "Think about it, why is Bellamy so opposed to the rest of our people coming down to Earth? Why did he come down? To be with you, obviously, but what did he do to get on that drop-ship? Surely he wasn't given a free pass to join us and the rest of the prisoners. He must've had to do something for someone."

"I - I did something, okay? Something to get on the drop-ship; something they'll kill me for when they come down from the Ark."

Bellamy's words of warning rang throughout my ears. I turned to gaze at my brother and swallowed hard as I tried to divert the subject. "Yeah. You're right. He wants Clarke and Wells to take off their wristbands. But they'll never go for that."

"They would have too if they were forced," Finn shrugged.

"Please," I rolled my eyes. "Let's not get into the gruesome details right now. Look, I seriously couldn't give a damn about this stupid wristband business. In fact, I'll probably take mine off as soon as we get back to the drop-ship. It's annoying as hell and besides, no one's gonna care anyway. But right now? We can't have Bellamy and Clarke fighting amongst themselves if we're trying to find Jasper. It won't work. More of us will just end up getting killed! So just - just promise me that you'll stop Bellamy if he tries to do anything stupid."