5: G e t o u t o f t h e W a t e r!

XX

[ PREVIOUSLY: Finn, Clarke, Octavia and four other boys have set out from the drop-ship; intent on reaching Mount Weather

[ PREVIOUSLY: Finn, Clarke, Octavia and four other boys have set out from the drop-ship; intent on reaching Mount Weather. They have learned Clarke's secret and know that the rest of their people are in danger of being destroyed. They must hurry if they are to not only save themselves, but the others left back on the Ark ].

We had been walking for hours.

By then, the natural, raw beauty of the scenery surrounding us had lost it's touch. The ground was wet and muddy, the bushes along the wayside sharp and prickly, the trees surrounding us too tall to climb and too smooth-barked for us to try.

I had never exercised much, considering I was locked in a tiny room for most of my life, so this was seriously pushing me to my limits.

"Oh my god, how much longer, Clarke?" Finn complained in a whiny voice.

Clarke shot him an irritated glare as she consulted her map. "We just need to make it to the bottom of the hill. From there we can decide the best route to take when we cross the valley."

"You're kidding me right?" a boy, donned with a pair of thick tinted googles and a big oversized jacket, spoke up from beside me. "We haven't even gotten down the blooming mountain yet?"

I shook my head and chuckled. "It's called a mountain for a reason, uh ..."

"Jasper," the boy answered for me, sticking out his hand. "Nice to meet you ..."

"Octavia," I returned quickly, hoping he, too, wouldn't remember me as 'the girl under the floor'.

"Oh," Jasper drew in a long, exaggerated breath. "Wait, you're the girl ..."

"Don't say it," I warned him, shaking a finger in his face. "Please ..."

"I was going to say the first one out of the Ark, but ..." Jasper shrugged as he turned away.

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Cool. Can we be friends then? Cause you're pretty sweet."

One of Jasper's friends chuckled in amusement as Jasper's face turned beetroot red. "Uh ... yeah ... sure ..." he mumbled.

"Nice pickup line," his friend called out as he joined us. "Sorry. I couldn't help but overhear. Hey Octavia, I'm Monty."

I grinned. "Oh hey."

"And while we're doing introductions," the smallest of the group turned around to face us and threw his arms up in the air. "I'm Bryce Rogers and this here is my best mate, Dustin."

"Hey all," I waved at everyone. "I'm so glad to finally be with people who actually make sense."

"Don't be too sure about that!" Finn teased from up ahead. "Clarke's a bit of a stress queen."