36: T h e B l a k e S i b l i n g s

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Murphy are taken from their cells and escorted across the river where they see a truly petrifying sight

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Murphy are taken from their cells and escorted across the river where they see a truly petrifying sight. They are abandoned by the grounders near their camp ... and it is there that Murphy starts convulsing in pain].

I let out a shrill cry for help, but my voice was muffled by the thick material of the gag stuffed in my mouth. I scrambled to my feet and looked every which way but there was no sign of anyone or anything.

Bellamy and Clarke had destroyed the village, taken the spoils and gone straight back to camp to enjoy them. Once again, they had broken my trust and this time? It would be far harder to repair.

A fresh spout of blood erupted from Murphy's mouth, soaking through his gag and dripping onto the floor. He made short gasping sounds and I knew he was choking to death on his own vomit. As much as I hated Murphy for what he had done to Charlotte, no one, not even him, deserved to die like this. I was trying so hard to find the peace that my people needed ... but I guess I had learned the hard truth too late: there was no peace - not on earth anyway.

Murphy slumped to the floor, his eyes huge with fear and his body trembling with pain. As I stared down at him, I saw that he was losing his strength ... he was about to die.

Oh my god.

"Octavia?"

My eyes widened in shock as I whirled around to face the speaker.

Dustin.

"Mmhhmmmuuhmmm!" I tried to scream, to explain, but no coherent words left my mouth. Damn this gag!

"Hold on!" he called out as he turned to look back over his shoulder. "Bryce! Bryce, come quick! It's Octavia!"

The two boys sprinted towards me. Dustin was the first at the scene.

"Oh geez," he let out a horrified gasp as he spotted Murphy's convulsing figure lying prone on the floor.

"Mmmhhmm!" I let out another desperate muffled noise, indicating that he should take my gag off.

Dustin, having got the message, reached forward and jerked the material from my mouth.

I coughed and sputtered, breathing in a great big gulp of fresh air.

"Q-quick!" I cried out hoarsely. "He - he's been infected by something! He's dying!"

Dustin and Bryce rushed to Murphy's side. They cut his bonds and loosened the gag, rolling him over so he had room to empty out all of the blood that had been gathering up in his mouth.

As Dustin pounded Murphy's back in an attempt to bring him back, Bryce scurried up behind me and used a short knife to severe the ropes holding my wrists. "Are you okay?" he inquired, concerned.