46: W h o i s E r i n?

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia is released from the dungeons a few hours after the attempted assassination on Heda takes place

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia is released from the dungeons a few hours after the attempted assassination on Heda takes place. She meets Gustus, a fierce warrior, and Lexa, first in line to the grounder throne, both of whom have differing opinions when it comes down to the Skai Gada].

"So, what's the deal with this mysterious Erin, huh?" I ventured, digging ravenously into a large leg of meat.

Lexa shot me an annoyed glare as Gustus, who was standing nearby, offered her some meat cuts from a piled platter. "I've already told you what you need to know," she returned as she took a wedge of meat from the platter. "Thank you Gustus."

I sighed and rolled my eyes, knowing that I couldn't push it too far. "Fine then," I muttered under my breath as I tossed the leftover bones onto the floor. A waft of cold wind played with the dancing flames of the campfire that Lexa and I were sitting in front of. I shivered, wrapping my arms around my elbows, trying desperately to keep my body heat in.

"Are you cold?" Lexa voiced, a touch of concern lacing her voice.

I nodded. "Er ... a little."

Suddenly, something warm and ridiculously soft descended upon my shoulders. I gasped and snapped my head around, looking up into the mischievous eyes of a young youth.

"Artigas," Lexa shook her head. "You scared her."

"I apologise, my Princess," Artigas sent her a quick bow before turning back to me with a wide smile, "I heard a plea for help and came to the rescue."

I fingered the edge of the furry blanket as I chuckled at the boy's cheekiness. "Hi, I'm Octavia."

"Yes, I know, everyone's talking about you," Artigas smirked, amused. He stuck his hand out as he introduced himself, "I'm Artigas. But you can just call me Gus. Everyone does."

"Nobody calls you that," Lexa scowled, an air of annoyance radiating from her.

I smiled. "Well, Gus, it's nice to meet you."

Artigas nodded, a wolfish grin plastered on his face. He looked terribly pleased with himself.

"Off you go, Artigas," Lexa ordered brusquely, waving him away. "So far, we've missed the eye of the storm but the tail of it will pass over us soon ... which means lots of wind and rain. You need to make sure anything loose about the camp is tied down and that the rain-water barrels are out. Also, any stray animals need to be taken back into their stables, okay? Get the other seconds to help you."

Artigas' bright expression fell. "But, my Princess, they will not listen ..."

"Then make them listen!" Lexa sent him a pointed glare. "Because if they do not, they'll have to answer to me."