54: P r i n c e s s M e c h a n i c

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Raven, Monty, Finn and Bryce pitch in with rescuing the sick crew trapped inside of the drop-ship

[PREVIOUSLY: Raven, Monty, Finn and Bryce pitch in with rescuing the sick crew trapped inside of the drop-ship. In the meanwhile, Bellamy weighs up his options and offers to take Jasper's place as hostage. Murphy agrees to the plan and Octavia watches the door close after her brother, not knowing if she'll ever see him alive again].

"Hurry up, Jasper!" I urged as I forced my aching legs to go faster. "We don't have much time! C'mon!"

"I - I'm trying!" Jasper gasped out breathlessly in response.

Hurriedly, I rounded the side of the drop-ship and came upon Raven, a crow-bar in hand, prying away at the loose panel on the underside of the metal compartment.

I skidded to halt, stones bouncing out from beneath my feet. I held out my arms, indicating that Jasper was to follow my example. He noticed my gesture a little too late, however, and almost slipped over on some loose dirt. Trying to regain his balance, he grabbed me around the waist to steady himself.

"You good there?" I queried, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Sorry, sorry," Jasper muttered, quickly removing his hands. His face had gone a deep red colour and his eyes were the size of large saucers.

"It's fine," I shot him a reassuring smile in return. However, deep down, I knew that it wasn't fine. Bellamy, my brother, was stuck inside the drop-ship with a killer who wanted him dead. There was nothing good about that.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. If I was to get a hold of Murphy, I'd beat him senseless. He was a selfish bastard, heck, that didn't even come close to describing how loathsome he was.

"Octavia!" Finn let out a hushed call. "Quick. Come here. Raven's nearly got this open."

Shaking myself from my reverie, I walked briskly over towards them and bent down to examine the panel. "Good."

"Jasper?" Monty queried incredulously. "W-what on earth?"

I let out a guffaw and rolled my eyes. "Quick update. Jasper's out but Bellamy's in. He took his place. We need to hurry."

Raven grunted as she finally heaved the panel open. "There, got it!" she exclaimed. As she lifted it up, she drew back and waved a hand in front of her face. "Whew. That's strong. Smells like hydrazine. Wait ... Hydrazine?"

We all stared at each other in amazement.

"Wait, so if there's hydrazine underneath the floor, maybe we have another shot at beating the grounders!" Finn's face flushed with excitement. "We can make more bombs!"

"Yeah, we can put that on our 'to-do' list. But don't get too ahead of yourself," Raven frowned at him. "In order for something as flammable as hydrazine to work, you need an accelerant to put it with and, from what I can recall, we used the rest of our gunpowder in the bridge explosion. But still, judging from that smell, there's a hell of a lot in there ..."