4: M o u n t W e a t h e r

XX

[ PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Finn discuss a grave matter with Clarke

[ PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and Finn discuss a grave matter with Clarke. Turns out, the Ark dropped them on the wrong mountain and the only way to get to Mount Weather, where all their supplies are, is to trek through a radiation simmering forest ].

Finn and I gazed at Clarke in shock as we heard the startling news.

"Is - is this some sort of punishment?" I stuttered, my words tumbling over themselves. "I - I mean, did they do this to us - on purpose?"

Clarke shook her head and shrugged as she began rolling up the map. "I - I really don't know."

"Wait," I took a step forward, blocking her path back to the drop-ship. "W-what were you locked up for? Do you know something that we don't? Something that involved the reason for us being sent down here?"

"Hey, back off!" Wells called out as he struggled to his feet and glared in my direction. "Clarke is under no obligation to explain herself to you."

"If something bad is happening up there I think we deserve to know," Finn spoke up, his brow furrowed in thought. "I mean, they're our people."

"And they sent us down here to die," Wells spat out. "I don't see why you'd even care about them anymore."

I opened my mouth to protest, but Clarke cut me off. "No, Wells, it's fine," she said. "They have a right to know."

"A right to know what?" I persisted.

Clarke sighed heavily as she glanced up at me. "Look, I know we didn't get off to a brilliant start, okay? But I - I respect your brother and his leadership skills. He knows how to deal with everyone here and I'll need his support in the coming future."

"So, what are you trying to do?" I raised my eyebrows and crossed my arms, an unimpressed demeanour encompassing my appearance. "Bribe me into whispering a good word for you into Bellamy's ear every now and then? Do you think I'm stupid? I may have spent my entire life beneath the floor, but I know all about you and your tactics from Bellamy and let me tell you this: he doesn't appreciate you barging in and sticking your nose in where it's not wanted. So, let life take its course and if Bellamy warms up to you, then great, but there is no way in hell that I am being your intermediator, got it?"

"She's kinda got a point there," Finn gave Clarke a pointed look.

"Shut-up, Spacewalker, that's not helping!" she frowned at him before turning back to me. "Y-you know what? You're right. You, out of everyone, deserve to know what's happening up there; seeing as you have absolutely no one left in the Ark that you care about ..."

"Whoa, this isn't confrontation time, Clarke," Finn held up his hand to stop her. "Just tell us what you know or ..."

"Or you'll what, Finn? Please, tell me what you'll do. I'd love to hear it," Clarke purposefully strung out each word, interlacing a sarcastic tone between each.