32: E s c a p e!

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy and Clarke go to spy out a grounder village

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy and Clarke go to spy out a grounder village. In the meanwhile, Octavia takes it upon herself to warn Hazel Eyes and Burly of the impending danger and agrees to let them go, on one condition: they take her with them to see their leader].

The setting rays of the evening sun warmed my face. A soft whistling breeze tickled the loose strands of hair around my neck and forehead. My eyes were closed and my muscles completely relaxed. I sat, with my back to the drop-ship, in the balmy dusk of the night. My knees were drawn up and my sheathed sword was balanced on top of them. My fingers were picking at fresh green clumps of grass scattered across the earth and my head was tilted back, soaking up the last of the sun's warmth.

This was my favourite time of the day.

"O?"

Startled, I opened my eyes and lifted my head. Bellamy, Clarke in the rear, was striding across the camp towards me. A rifle was slung across his shoulder and a half-filled pack was strapped onto his back. He had his jacket tied around his waist and an empty water canteen was in his hand.

"Oh. Hi Bell," I smiled as I leaned back against the drop-ship again.

Bellamy stopped right in front of me, his eyebrows quirked in confusion. "W-where is everyone?"

I shrugged, faking an innocent air. "Urgh. I dunno. Enjoying the last of the day's sun, I'm presuming."

Bellamy rolled his eyes as he knelt down next to me. "Hey, you feeling okay?"

"Uh huh," I nodded, scooting away from him. "I - I'm good."

"Hhheeyyyy, B-Belllammmyyy'ss baackk!"

Bellamy and Clarke whirled around to see Jasper staggering towards us, a stupid grin on his face.

"Are - are you drunk?" Clarke gasped.

"How is that even possible?" Bellamy demanded. "We - we don't have any alcohol here."

Jasper shrugged and let out a loud, slurred laugh. "Huh huh well ask Octavia ... she gave us the berrriieeess! Hahaha!"

"The berries?" Clarke turned to me.

"What?" I countered, annoyed. "I - I found some berries in the woods. I just handed them around. It's not my fault if I didn't know they were going to make everyone go walkabout."

"T-they're probably poisonous Octavia!" Clarke huffed, frowning angrily down at me. "They could make everyone sick!"

I struggled to contain a chuckle as I replied nonchalantly, "Oops."

"Octavia," Bellamy reproved.

"Great. Just great," Clarke threw her hands up into the air. "Now I have to make the rounds to check that everyone's okay. Thanks a lot, Octavia! You coming with?" she nodded at Bellamy.