7: T h e S e a r c h B e g i n s

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia was attacked by an unrecognisable under-water creature

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia was attacked by an unrecognisable under-water creature. Jasper saves her life and, trying to impress her, is the first to cross the river on Finn's makeshift vine. However, he gets speared by an intruder and now the group knows that they are not the only ones on Earth after all].

"W-we're not alone."

At Clarke's declaration, everyone, on impulse, turned and scanned their surroundings carefully. However, we couldn't see anything or anyone.

"We gotta go!" Finn exclaimed, catching me by the arm. "C'mon."

"Wait! W-what about Jasper?" I cried out.

"He's probably dead, Octavia," Dustin said, a sorrowful tone lacing his words. "I - I'm sorry."

"And even if he isn't, we can't risk anyone else's lives by going back for him," Clarke proclaimed. "We need to warn the others. So let's go."

"The spear came from behind me!" I shouted out as I began sprinting after the others. "Does that mean that they were watching us this entire time?"

"They must've been," Finn returned.

"That's not creepy at all," Bryce muttered.

"That river must be a boundary!" Clarke puffed as she exerted herself to her limits. "They didn't attack because we weren't in their territory, but once Jasper crossed the river ... well, the land on the other side must be out of bounds."

"Out of bounds?" I exclaimed angrily. "Whoever did this has no right to go around killing people just because they trespassed!"

"Even so, we need to get back to the drop-ship and warn Bellamy," Clarke returned urgently. "They may try to attack everyone else too and with no weapons, we're practically defenceless."

"You couldn't say that any louder?" Monty queried, rolling his eyes.

"UURRGGHH!"

We all froze stock-still and whirled around. The river was a good 500 metres behind us now but the piercing scream that reached our ears told a different story.

"T-that's Jasper!" I yelled. "He - he's still alive!"

I made a move as if I was going to turn back, but Finn bounded over to me and in a blink of an eye, he had seized my arm in a vice-like grip.

"You ... are .. not ... going ... back ... there," he told me pointedly. "Bellamy asked me to look out for you and that's exactly what I'm going to do."

"B-but Jasper is ... "

"No, Octavia, we can't do anything for him now. We'll come back when we have a plan in place, okay?" he tried to reassure me. "But it's stupid to run back out there with an all-seeing assailant right on our tracks."