48: I C a n M a k e I t G o B o o m

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia's life is once-again threatened by an angry and chagrined Heda

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia's life is once-again threatened by an angry and chagrined Heda. When the troops go to Polis to determine the fate of her people, Octavia begins to bond with Artigas. Then, Lexa comes rushing back into TonDC with bad news: Trikru has declared war against Skikru]!

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

The wind rushed past my ears.

"Every single representative from each of the twelve clans ... voted in favour of attack."

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

Twigs snapped across my arms and face.

"You have to leave TonDC at once before the others return!"

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

Salty tears stung my eyes.

"You must go ... now."

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

My fingers tightened around the leather reins I held in my hands.

"This is war."

I dug my heels deeper into Zenia's side, urging him to go faster. His hooves pounded against the ground, kicking up clumps of grass and clods of dirt in his wake. His strong muscles rippled across his broad back and his breaths came out in fast, hard pants.

He sensed the urgency in my tone and pushed on, his strides lengthening with each step.

"Come on, Zenia, come on, you can do it!" I whispered words of encouragement in his ear. "We need to get back to the drop-ship before the grounders do!"

In a matter of moments, Zenia had brought me into the woods encompassing our camp. With one swift movement, I jumped from the saddle, drawing my sword out in the process. My eyes warily scanned my surroundings as I clasped Zenia's reins in one hand. The fingers of my other hand curled tightly around the handle of my jagged-edge sword as I prepared for any confrontation.

Stepping aside into the safety of a thick clump of large spruce bushes, I wrapped Zenia's reins around one of the sturdy branches.

"Thank you, boy," I breathed in Zenia's ear as I smoothed my palm across his silky neck.

Keeping low to the ground, I slipped out from amidst the shadows of the trees and made a bee-line straight for the camp gates.

As I approached them, I heard much commotion occurring from within the walls. Furrowing my brow in confusion, I walked straight up to the gates and pounded on them.

"Oi!" I shouted. "Let me in! Hurry up!"

There was a slight lull in the mixture of raised voices inside as my cry carried throughout the air.