10: T h e T r a p

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Finn and Octavia discuss Bellamy's odd behaviour regarding Clarke and their rescue mission

[PREVIOUSLY: Finn and Octavia discuss Bellamy's odd behaviour regarding Clarke and their rescue mission. When things finally come to a head between Bellamy and Clarke, Octavia begins to have doubts about her brother's leadership skills. Then, Finn finds a pool of Jasper's blood on the other side of the river].

"Oh my god!" Clarke clapped a hand over her mouth. Tears trembled in her eyes and her shoulders shook with suppressed fear. "Oh ... my ... god."

Bellamy and Wells glanced at each other before pushing their way to the front of the group to join Clarke. Their eyes widened in disbelief and horror as they gazed down at the blood that had stained the stones lining the river.

"We better hurry," Finn proclaimed as he straightened up. "We don't have much time."

"How are we going to know where they took him?" I asked, shifting nervously from one foot to the other.

"We don't," Bellamy shot out in return. "But Spacewalker here thinks he's a tracker."

"Hey, he's got fourth year earth skills, he's good," Wells countered.

"Keep it down or should I paint a target on your back?" Finn snapped, annoyed. He carefully scanned our surroundings before beckoning us to follow him. "This way."

With much care in his step and a lot of sharpness in his gaze, Finn led the way up the slippery bank towards a level of flatter ground that ran parallel to the river. Suddenly, he held his arm out to stop us and lifted his hand to touch the thin branch of a nearby bush.

"W-what is it, Spacewalker?" I whispered, my voice echoing in the eerie stillness.

He stepped out of the way, pointing to a broken twig dangling down from the branch. Then, his eyes riveted to something by his feet. Crouching down, he picked up a few loose cobblestones and examined them. Inching closer, I peered over his head and swallowed hard. The pebbles were covered in rich dark blood.

"Oh no," I breathed.

"UURRGGHH!"

The abrupt scream made us all jump and back away quickly.

"W-what was that?" Wells demanded, fear creeping into his voice.

Finn shook his head uncertainly as he glanced this way and that.

"I think now would be a good time to take out that gun," Clarke told Bellamy as she glanced from the blood-covered pebbles to the thick undergrowth encompassing us on each side.

Finn motioned for us to stay close to him as he took off - right into the heart of the forest. I was right behind him; Clarke and Wells following me. Bellamy, his pistol cocked and at the ready, brought up the rear.