41: T h e E x o d u s S h i p

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia, Finn and Clarke go to meet Anya and her bodyguards at the designated bridge

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia, Finn and Clarke go to meet Anya and her bodyguards at the designated bridge. As Clarke and Anya heatedly discuss treaty terms, Octavia notices archers in the trees and realises that it's a trap. She's just about to pull Clarke away when the unthinkable happens].

BANG. BANG.

Two more bullets split through the air in a fiery blast of gunpowder. They whizzed straight by my ear ... in fact, they were so close, I felt a tickle of air fan my face as the bullets whooshed past.

The bullets hit their target: one of the archers. The grounder dropped his bow and quiver of arrows and slumped, face-first, out of the tree.

BAM.

His limp, lifeless body slammed into the ground.

"Clarke, Finn, Octavia, GET DOWN!" Bellamy's deep, authoritative voice called out as he, too, stepped out into the open.

Anya, seeing her opportunity, whipped a knife from a hidden pocket that was on the underside of her sleeve. Twirling the blade expertly between her fingers, she lunged towards me, the gleaming silver aimed straight for my throat.

In that moment, the entire world seemed to freeze. My eyes widened as I, horrified and helpless, watched the knife curve through the air towards me. There was no way Bellamy could even aim to shoot in time; there was no way I could niftily dodge the oncoming blow in time.

I was a goner. That was that.

PING.

Suddenly and out of nowhere, an arrow lodged itself in Anya's wrist, stopping her mid-movement.

Anya let out a scream of pain as her wrist reflexively snapped back. Anya cradled her wounded arm to her chest as her knife clattered to the floor.

My mouth fell open in shock. What had just happened? One of Anya's own men had - had shot her?

BANG. BANG.

Bellamy had brought his rifle up to eye-level and was now delivering fast and frequent shots towards Anya. Unfortunately, all of the bullets were either ricocheting off of the edge of the bridge or blowing dents through the hard wooden boards.

Even still, the deafening noise caused by the boys' guns was enough to scare the grounders. And the proud, confident Heda was proud and confident no more. With cover from her bodyguards, who were stringing arrows towards Bellamy and Jasper, Anya stumbled hastily back towards her horse.

"Octavia, c'mon!" Finn urged as he reached forward and grasped my hand in his. Encircling his other arm around my shoulders, he pulled me away from the bridge.

As the chaos continued to expand, I tossed a hasty glance over my shoulder and gazed intently towards the woods from where the loose arrow had come from. Suddenly, I stopped abruptly, causing Finn to run straight into the back of me. A strangled gasp rose up in my throat.