50: C h o o s e

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia, Bellamy, Raven and the others examine a hydrazine bomb that they are planning to use to blow the bridge

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia, Bellamy, Raven and the others examine a hydrazine bomb that they are planning to use to blow the bridge. In the meanwhile, an unfortunate turn of events occur and Octavia is forced to step up and take on the task of delivering the shot that will blow away the last shred of peace remaining between the clans].

"I'll do it. I'll take the shot."

The moment those words tumbled from my mouth, I glimpsed a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye.

"No," Bellamy wheezed as he struggled to his feet and placed a steadying hand on the table nearby. "I appreciate the concern but I'm good to go. Make sure the bomb is packed and ready to go in five."

"Wait!" Clarke called out as she lurched forward and seized his arm.

Bellamy snapped his head around and stared at her fingers as they closed around his skin.

"C-Clarke, you could get sick ..." Jasper stammered, eyes wide in horror.

Clarke shook her head as she retorted, "I don't care. Bellamy, you are not going to that bridge. If you get hurt along the way or possibly even miss your target ... we're all dead. You're not seriously willing to risk that by letting a bit of pride get in the way, are you?"

Bellamy hesitated before responding, "Octavia is not taking that shot."

"Bellamy!" I exclaimed in frustration as I flailed my arms around. "I'm not a little kid anymore. I don't need you to protect me, okay? I can look after myself. I've proven that to you over and over again. You're not coming. You're not taking that shot. I am!"

Bellamy tried to protest, but his words died in his mouth. Struggling for breath, he swayed to and fro as he tried to regain his balance. Then, with a spluttering moan, he collapsed to the ground with a loud thud.

"Bellamy!" I cried out as I started forward.

"No!" Bellamy held up his hand. "Stay back." He burst into a fit of coughing, spewing blood across the floor.

Everyone backed away, their faces contorted in concern and disgust.

"Okay, change of plans," Clarke spoke up hurriedly. "I'll stay here to look after Bellamy. If he's sick, there's a possibility others are too. Octavia, Finn, Jasper ... you go the bridge. You plant the bomb. You get back as soon as you can. You hear me?"

Finn nodded as he shouldered his rifle. "Let's go."

"Hold up, where's the bomb?" Jasper demanded.

I whirled around, inhaling sharply in the process. The bomb was gone ... and so was Raven.

"God dammit. RAVEN!" Finn shouted out as he dashed out of the drop-ship. Jasper muttered something incoherent under his breath as he grabbed his gun and followed him.