| n i n e |

edited: january 12th, 2019.
olivias' point of view:

         I felt my heart swell seeing her lie so quietly in the bed. Wishing I could just go back to last week just to hear her scold me about being home by 10.

          "Hello?" I said not even recognizing my own voice as I answered the phone with shaking hands.

          "What room is it?" Alex said sounding out of breathe, like he'd ran all the way here from his house.

       "B205," I said quietly and felt my body slump down into the chair.

          I brought my legs up to my chest and squeezed as tightly as I could. Maybe if I squeezed hard enough then I could put my broken pieces back to together? I was wrong though. This was still happening. Mom was still here, in a coma, and I am here living though it.

         "Olivia!" Alex said quickly running over to me. "What happened?" He said quietly squatting in front of the chair matching my height.

         I felt his hand move up and down my arm, and any other day I would feel an explosion of joy go off in my body with just the feel of his touch, but not today.

          I went to open my mouth but no words came out, only a sob. "Shh, it's okay let it out," Alex soothed grabbing me into a hug.

        "S-She was j-ju-ust going to the store," I spat out. "And now we're here," I said whipping my tears away, "I didn't know who else to call Di stopped answering and I just couldn't be alone."

         His face has a soft calming expression across it, making my heart flutter slightly. "It's no problem at all, hey why don't we go head to the cafeteria to get some food? Let's get you out of here for a bit?" Alex offered, and I forced a half smile and nodded my head.

         Alex went to lead me out the room but I stopped in front of Carlos, "You didn't have to come, but I'm glad you did. Thank you," I said quietly before going in for a hug.

         "It's no problem Liv," he said rubbing my back a few times before letting go, "Hey uh," he said catching my attention, "I'm sorry for being a dick to you when we first met, if it came out that way I just wanted to apologize," he said keeping his eyes focused on the ground.

        "I knew you were just teasing, my bestfriend does the same thing to me. It's okay," I said giving him a smile.

        "Okay let's go get some food, because I'm actually starving," Alex said leading me out of the room.

         The cafeteria was quiet, it was almost peaceful. It breaks my heart to know that each and everyone of these people could be here for there mom who's in a coma, a brother who has cancer, a sister who broke her leg, and so many more things. I silently prayed that everyone of these people would soon have a healthy happy family as far away from the hospital as possible.

         "Have you eaten today?" Alex asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

         "Yeah. This morning, but I'm not hungry right now," I said fiddling with the necklace I was wearing.

         "You need to eat something even if it's small. It's 1:45, here let's get you apple slices?" He questioned picking them up.

        "But Alex I'm really no—"

         "No your mom wouldn't want you to starve yourself. You're eating, even if it's one bite an hour at least you're eating," he said.

       "Okay," I said with a nod, as he walked away to go pay.

        Carlos gave me a nudge in my side. "You doing okay? I saw you had like a moment a second ago."

         "It makes me sad to see all these people in here, knowing their family could be in the same position as my mom, or a close friend. I was just giving them all a prayer real quick," I said with a shrug.

          "You have a good heart Olivia," Carlos said wrapping his arm around my shoulders, "God would never take a mom away from someone like you, I really hope he wouldn't take her away." he said almost above a whisper.

         I felt a small smile appear on my face, "Thank you Carlos," when Alex came back me and Carlos parted ways and went to sit down.

         I sat next to Alex with Carlos across from me, "Thank you," I said placing a kiss on Alex's cheek, then quickly took a bite of my apple.

        I looked over to see Alex smiling, I'm not sure if it's because I kissed him or if I ate, either way he was happy. Which made my sad heart just a less bit sadder.

         "Can we go to the chapel after this? I want to pray," I said catching Carlos's attention now, "I know I already prayed but I want to do it in front of god to show him serious," I said taking another small bit of my Apple.

         "Of course, whatever you need," Alex said placing his hand on mine, Carlos nodded in agreement.

authors note:

hey hey hey, how's everyone liking the story so far. it's only been a week and we already have 100 views, love you :)