[25] Doomed

Dear Yoongi (and eventually Namjoon),

Something is definitely up over here. In the three days since your departure from the palace, the size of the army housed at the palace has doubled. The size of the court has suspiciously increased at the same time under the impression that we will believe they are simply here to prepare for Prince Jeno's Coming of Age. However, they roam the palace in patterns, all of which cross by or near our quarters, giving me the clear signal that these are no ordinary courtiers. I believe we are under constant surveillance. There have been several nights where people other than our men have entered your chambers. However, they have not stolen anything, which is curious enough other than the fact that they are so clearly spying on us. It is likely that they are aware of my exact identity and I may be in grave danger. Do not worry about me. If you ever fail to hear from me, do not send others to help. Lord Park's safety is our highest priority and his return will not help if something like that were to occur. I am now convinced that King Taemin has something to do with Senior Lord Park's sudden illness. I will attempt to find actual proof within the coming days. As always, I fear the worst.

~ Jung Hoseok

Hoseok wiped his brow as he blew out the candle, the liquid wax freezing as he sealed yet another letter to his best friend.

His shoulders tensed at a soft knock at the window, even the trees coaxing a rise out of the general on high alert in the darkness of the night.

The typically steady general had his routine disrupted, as nearly everything had changed once Jimin departed for Kim for the first time in four and a half months. Prince Jackson visibly relaxing as he was one less man to compete against for immunity, King Taemin's smile growing wide and more frequent, his smooth voice echoing through the halls as his seldom compliments flustering even the servants of the castle.

But the one who had changed the most was the one Hoseok least expected.

He thought Ten would be excited to believe he would have more of his attention as the result of the absence of his 'master' but it was quite the opposite.

Ten had been surprisingly free despite his increase in responsibility due to the large influx of Anti soldiers, and each time he so 'happened' to find Hoseok, he was not his usual calm yet smiling self.

His innuendos were practically absent from his vocabulary, his kisses quite frankly, half-assed, and his mind clearly occupied by something other than the red-haired spitfire that had so constantly held his attention for months on end.

As a result, Hoseok couldn't stop thinking about him, worrying about his mental state, concerned for the man he could understand better than anyone.

And he knew what could be the reason for Ten's hesitation during their interaction, his recent restriction of his words, his tight-lipped smiles overtaking his gorgeous teeth.

There was no way in hell a major general would be able to keep Hoseok's secret from his king, even if the king was legitimately Lucifer incarnate.