[13] Manipulation

The young prince stood outside the door, wringing his hands together as if they were a cloth soaked with rainwater.

"What are you doing here?" Jimin pondered, opening the door to welcome him in, his brow still furrowed in confusion as the boy looked like he was about to burst into tears, his usual smiling eyes drooping.

"How did you find out about Jaemin?" he whispered, glancing into Jimin's eyes before looking downward again, his hands still squeezing that invisible rag.

Jimin chuckled lightly, placing his hand on Jeno's shoulder, "I met Jaemin the second night I was here. Neither of us could sleep, so I met him in the library on accident."

"He TOLD YOU?!?!" Jeno whisper-yelled, his eyes going wide as he began to panic, placing his shaking hand on his forehead.

"What? No, man, you've got it all wrong. I heard the way he talked about you, and then I saw you at the ball tonight. He totally likes you," Jimin boldly smiled, starting to laugh again until he saw tears streaming down the younger's face.

"He... likes me? Likes likes me????" he breathed, apparently unaware of his own situation, his hand moving to cover his mouth as he placed himself on the couch, Jimin's mouth hanging open as he froze, unsure of how to handle the situation.

"Ummmm, I mean, that's what I thought... errrr..... observed, are you two not...."

"If my dad finds out that I've been talking to him again he'll send him away...." Jeno sobbed, standing up to pace until he felt arms wrapping around him and patting his back, calming him down slowly.

"Jeno... do you mind if I call you Jeno?" Jimin pulled back, looking at Jeno until he nodded, wiping away some of his tears.

"Okay then Jeno. Yes, I think he likes you. But would you mind explaining to me exactly what is going on?!"

The younger breathed, settling down and sitting on the couch once again, whispering, "About six years ago, my older brother, Yuta, had a selection ceremony. It was going as normal, and as per tradition, one available representative was present from each of the territories in our kingdom. That year, the older Na son, Lord Ten, was eligible for selection and brought his younger brother along with him."

"Jaemin, I assume," Jimin interjected, Jeno nodding before he continued.

"Well, Jaemin didn't actually have a lot to do, and because of how important their family is to us, Jaemin spent a lot of time around myself and my brothers Haechan, Chenle and Jisung. At the end of six months, Ten had made it into the top 3 due to his military intelligence and, quite frankly, his looks. However, Yuta chose one of the others, and Ten presumed he was going back to the Na territory with Jaemin. During those six months, he and I got close..... and I had my fifteenth birthday only a few months before his....." he trailed off, clearing his throat in order to refocus.