43: A M a t t e r o f T r u s t

Start from the beginning

Aidan rolled his eyes as he pulled his arm away from me. "There is a plot, among our own people, to assassinate Heda. You need to go and warn her otherwise she'll die before the vote goes through in Polis."

"And why is that such a bad thing?" I demanded. "She ambushed us at the bridge."

"You don't want the next in line to take over, not yet," Aidan tried to explain. "She is more brutal than Anya and is not afraid to shed blood. If you let Anya die now, any chance of retaining peace with your people will be lost."

As I contemplated his words, I was suddenly struck with an idea. "So ... why can't you warn her?" I piped up.

Aidan drew in a deep breath as he replied, "You know why."

I swallowed hard as I settled myself down on the ground next to him. "Why would you estrange yourself from your own people to save my life? Why did you do that, Aidan?"

Aidan bit his lip and shrugged. "I did not agree with my people's plan to kill your representatives without, at first, attempting to talk to you. So I trailed them through the woods and stayed at a safe distance to witness the encounter between your Heda and ours. I would not have shot that arrow if you hadn't stepped forward."

"You're not answering my question!" I threw my arms up into the air in exasperation. "You are acting so different from when I first saw you. I couldn't get two words out of you and now you're shooting evasive comments at me. What's up with you?"

"You are the bridge between Trikru and Skikru!" Aidan hissed, the frustration evident in his tone. "You need to live if peace is to somehow come about. Even though they won't admit it, Trikru warriors were impressed by your boldness when you entered TonDC. You have earned respect from my people and that's not something that you should take lightly. But, on the other hand, you have no idea what damage your people have done by firing those shots."

I nodded soberly. "I - I know. I tried to stop them. They won't listen to me, only Bellamy and Clarke."

"Trikru is not stupid. They knew that you would bring back-up, so they brought theirs," Aidan huffed, ignoring my last comment. "This is not the first time we have faced threats from people like yourself. There are other tribes, other clans, up in the mountains. They have been at war with our people since the beginning of time."

My eyes widened in surprise and interest. "Really?"

"Yes," Aidan inclined his head slightly in response. "But at least those other clans have armies almost as strong as ours. For your people, things are not looking so good. Late last night, it was reported that your reinforcements blew up in a wall of fire and now your people are left defenceless. Heda will take advantage of this opportunity to march against you. But, if you catch up to her before she reaches Polis and warn her of the impending threat that she will face, maybe, just maybe, she will reconsider an alliance."

"T-that's very unlikely," I raised my eyebrows at him, "And you know it."

"It's worth a try," Aidan sighed. Turning to face me fully, his deep hazel eyes bore into mine as he asked, "Do you want peace for your people or not? A warrior doesn't worry about the things he can't control; but if there is the slightest chance that he can change fate for the better, he will ... and so should you."

Surprised, I gazed back at him; completely mesmerised by his strong jawline, thick dark hair, and shimmering eyes. I nodded, at a loss for words.

Aidan drew back as he sent me a funny look. "What?"

I could feel the heat as it started to crawl up my neck. "N-nothing," I mumbled, quickly looking away. Regaining my composure, I ventured, "So, what about you? Obviously you can't go back home so where are you staying?"

Aidan narrowed his eyes suspiciously at me. "I don't need to tell you. I'm fine. I can take care of myself. I'm a lone wolf, I always have been and I always will be."

I chuckled. "Kinda sounds like me."

Aidan seemed to soften up then. Sticking out his hand, he inquired, "Will you return to TonDC and warn Heda of this plot to take her life?"

I hesitated, recalling the incident where Anya lunged for me with her knife. My reverie was cut short when Aidan cleared his throat and said, "Let me rephrase that: do you trust me?"

I glanced up into his deep hazel eyes. Then, my gaze landed on his outstretched arm. Leaning forward, I grasped it tightly and nodded.

A hint of a smile flickered across Aidan's face as he said, "Let me give you the directions. If you want to get there before Heda leaves for Polis, then you have to go now."

My fingers grazed the tip of my sword that was hanging by my side. I smirked, "Okay. Let's do this. Let's go to TonDC."

Gif: Octavia as she agrees to Aidan's proposal.

XX