Ichthys, The Mischievous Trickster: Story 4

The Next Day...

Ichthys is on my mind even at work. I'm tempted to go check up on him, but afraid I'll just be a bother, and not like I should show up unannounced, and it's not as if I can get there instantaneously if Ichthys doesn't summon me.

"I guess I can always take the back roads home and stop by..." I mumble as I clean off a table. "But, Dui said Ichthys would be down for two or three days..."

I'm talking to myself, as I try to come up with excuse after excuse to not go over to visit him, as much as I would like to, to put my mind at ease.

"Hey, Abbey. Table five!" Emily calls out as she walks by.

"C-coming!" I respond, tucking the cloth in my apron pocket, while adjusting my ponytail.

Everyone is doing extra tasks around the place and being more chipper than usual all to prepare for a 'Open-Mic' show event tomorrow night. Just following the demands from my two bosses, Hannah and Jack who are giddy for the event. As it's been a while since we've done a show where not only employees, but customers as well can get involved.

Looking around at the excited faces, listening to the lively chatter, I sigh with a small smile on my face. Deciding to go and check up on Ichthys after all.

"There you are. Heyyy, Abbey!"

Someone calls for me from the entrance of the resturant.

I spin around to see a cheerful Ichthys.

"Ichthys?!" I say, slacked jawed. I shake my head and walk up to him. "B-but what are you doing here? Are you okay, should you be out and about like this? You looked totally exhausted yesterday." I fire my concerns at him without warning.

"Pfft...that?" He chuckles, waving off my worries. "That was nothing! I just needed a good night's sleep." He then has his own look of concern. "Oh, did Dui say something to you? That guy's such a worrywart."

Getting a good look at him, I can admit he doesn't look as worn out and pale as he did yesterday, but it's not enough to convince me.

"Anyways," I quickly try to change the subject, but I don't end up straying far. "Uh, I actually wanted to thank you properly for healing my finger. I know I acted weird when I first saw your...divine power, but...then"

"Huh? What's wrong? Why the formal thanks you all of a sudden?"

"O-oh, I just...uh..." The thought of him using his power to heal my finger, makes me look closer at him. "Are you sure...your feeling better?"

Ichthys sighs. "Maaaan, did Dui tell you?"

I shrug. "Like...about how using your healing ability shortens your life?"

"Oh, so you did hear." Ichthys looks down.

"Well...I mean, I know it's none of my business, but since you've already told me that your going to die one day, and with everything else, I just wish you would've told me..."

"Why? I didn't want you to get all weird, and uptight, and worried. That's no fun."

"But, if I had let you use your powers to heal a serious injury of mine, I would've been upset and angry when I found out the truth later."

Ichthys laughs. "That's nothing to worry about."

Nothing to worry about? But...it's your life we're talking about here...

Ichthys quickly changes the subject this time. "Whatever. Anyway, what are you doing? You seem busy."

"Huh?" I look around me, watching my co-workers' bustle. "Oh, we're just preparing for tomorrow's event."