Huedhaut, The Snarky Intellectual: Story 10

The new moon being held up in the dark sky contrasts beautifully. Hue and I end our walk through the starry sky, and I slowly pull away from him as we gently descend onto the balcony. I take a few steps ahead, my back turned to Huedhaut.

"Abbey..." Hue calls my name.

I fidget with my hands, biting my bottom lip as I slowly turn around. He doesn't have to say anything, because I already know from the look on his face.

I sigh. "It's time, isn't it..."

I stuck a strand of my hair out of my face as I shy away.

"Thank you." He says with a sad smile.

My eyes widen at his words, as I snap my head to look at him.

Hue continues. "No matter how many times I thank you, it'll never be enough. I'm grateful to you, Abbey."

"N-no, its okay, you don't have to be. I didn't to anything, really." I shyly murmur. "We don't even know what made your mark of sin disappear. So, really, you don't have to thank me for anything."

Hue stands there, gazing deeply into my eyes.

"H-Hue?"

"It's fine. You don't have to understand why. But really, thank you."

A gust of wind howls, interrupting the quiet night.

"I can't stop thinking about what you told me before." Hue begins to say.

"And what's that?" With gentle eyes I gaze at him.

He smiles kindly. "You told me not to say that the goddess's life was 'sacrificed'."

"Oh yeah, that..." I nod, stroking a strand of hair between my fingers.

"Thanks to your honesty and directness... I feel like I understand now. She loved humans, so she saved them. It was a sacrificial act, but that's not all it was by a long shot.

As he continues to smile, it's like he's melting into the midnight blue of the night sky.

"If the goddess believed in a future for humans, then I can try and learn from that, too."

I look at him, rather surprised by his words. "Hue..."

"Please, remember this..." Hue takes his hand and cups my cheek. "Abbey, as long as you can dream of a future, 'wonderful' things will definitely find you."

His long slender fingers feel cool against my heated cheeks. Leaning in close, Hue drops a feather soft kiss on my temple.

"W-what are you doing?" A whimpering panic escapes me.

Hue smiles again. "The blessing of Huedhaut, god of Aquarius. Be happy, Abbey..."

I breathe. "...Happy?"

The word suddenly makes me feel empty on the inside. I don't think that's possible for someone like me...

"Please, be happier than anyone..." Hue tells me.

I find myself unable to smile, as an agonizing pain swells up from inside me, but I do my best to hide it.

"I want you to be the happiest girl in the world." He whispers into my ear.