Scorpio, The Abrasive and Cool: Story 8

"Altair...why are you blabbering on about things you shouldn't be?" Scorpio's voice chimes into the conversation.

I nearly jump out of my seat. "Holy—! You're awake!"

"Some idiot's loud voice woke me up."

I grit my teeth, and my expression that was once shocked has turned into an exasperated one, as I eye the nearest pillow.

"I-I'm sorry! It was an accident!" Altair nervously stammers.

"So, you'll just saying anything 'by accident'?!" Scorpio talks firmly as Altair trembles in fear.

I stand up. "Hey! You don't need to yell at him like that. He was just saying how much he admires you...sheesh...and besides, you're sick, Scorpio."

"Shut up. This is no concern of yours." Scorpio snaps as struggles to get up. "Altair, I'll forgive you for blabbing about something I didn't want to be known, if you forgive me for telling this stupid woman your secrets."

"Hey!" I pipe up, not before Altair worried responds.

"Huh? My secrets...?"

Scorpio sighs deeply. "About how you still wet the bed even at your age, or about how you have a crush on the girl who serves the Department of Wishes..."

Altair panics as he frantically waves his arms around to get Scorpio to stop. "N-n-no! Sshh! You know about those things, Lord Scorpio?"

"Of course, who do you think I am?" Scorpio says as I, in sync, mumble the exact phrase, mockingly.

Altair turns bright red. "L-lady Abbey, did you hear what he just said?"

"Hm? What? Oh, sorry my mind elsewhere, I didn't quite catch what he said..." I act as if I didn't hear to reassure Altair.

"Phew...thank goodness. I'm safe." Altair calms down.

Poor kid...I sigh.

Scorpio looks at me then to Altair. "Altair, is it easy for you to forgive people who tell secrets you don't want told?"

Altair looks away from Scorpio's intense gaze. "Well..."

From the looks of things, Altair understands firsthand the gravity of what he said, and he regrets what he did from the bottom of his heart.

"I'm really sorry, Lord Scorpio." Altair says quietly, but genuinely,

"What's done is done." Scorpio says. "Altair, tell Dui and the others my power has returned. They're probably searching through all kinds of research books as we speak, trying to find a way to help me recover."

Altair jumps with excitement. "O-okay!" He bows politely to Scorpio before leaving the room.

"Huh...would you look at that, you can be a kind god."

Realizing that Scorpio wasn't so much as getting angry with Altair, but in fact teaching the child a lesson.

Scorpio glares. "What are you talking about?"

I shake my head. "Nothing. Forget it." I then take the cloth that was once on Scorpio's forehead and fold it neatly on the rim of the bowl that's now filled with lukewarm water. "More importantly..." I pause, whether or not my question may trigger him but I decide to ask anyways. "Did you...really use to be human?"

Scorpio scoffs. "So, what if I did?"

"I don't mean anything by it, it's just, I can't believe it is all. That you, were actually a human."