Huedhaut, The Snarky Intellectual: Story 7

"No turning back now." I say with a huff as I march on up to the mansion.

Finding the spurt of courage inside me, I'm going to talk to Hue again about what happened the other night.

However, I seem to lose my nerve entirely when its me and Huedhaut alone in the parlor.

We stare at each other in silence for a few minutes.

Say something! I internally shout at myself.

"Uhh..." I speak up, breaking the ice.

"I apologize for what happened before." Huedhaut interrupts me.

"Huh...?" I look at him blankly.

"I wasn't acting like myself. I lost my composure. I'm sure I upset you too. I'm sorry." He says, averting his gaze to the floor.

What the...

He's acting like his normal self again.... Detached, cold, distant. Much like he was when we first met.

"Well, actually, I came here to talk to you about that other night." I finally find my voice.

"There's nothing to discuss." He firmly cuts me off. "The things you remembered are from a past life. Those things will only cause problems for the current you."

"What do you mean, 'nothing to discuss'?" I question.

Losing his composure like he did speaks volumes about how much he loved and cared for the goddess...

There's no way, that he can just easily forget about her so easily...

I know I wouldn't be able to forget about the ones I love

...I can't...

"You don't have to make that face."

"But—"

"I know this is a selfish thing to ask, but I want you to forget about that night. It was just a fleeting illusion. A dream. Telling you about a past you don't remember would only hurt you."

My shoulders slump, and I reply only with a nod.

I guess he's right, I don't need another past that will only cause me more pain to think about...

"And the same holds true for me. Being asked about this any more will only hurt me." He shoots me a sad smile. "Go ahead and label me a cruel god if you must. If you'll excuse me..."

Huedhaut rises form his seat and makes his way to the door.

"Oh...Hue..." I sigh the words under my breath.

His back is to me as he gets up to leave, and I stare at him, but he doesn't turn around.

I want to stop him, but there's nothing to say to him now...

I watch him walk away knowing that he won't let me stop him. He exits the room.

Running my fingers through my hair, sink into the couch. "We just sat across from each other, looked each other in the eyes and talked. But he has never been as far away from me as he is right now..." I mumble the words aloud.

I have the same soul as the goddess he loved in my previous life...

That makes her a different person from me...

I am who I am.

Thinking about it more and more as I'm left in the luxurious large room, I come to the understanding that I can't help Hue. I will only cause us pain, cause him pain.