11 - The Boy Born With Everything

"So... What did you want to talk about?" I hear Izuku asking someone.

Katsuki and I are hiding in the next hallway within the stadium building. I wanted to be nosy and hear who Izuku was talking to, so I decided to stay put. Normally, Katsuki wouldn't care about what Izuku had to say. Surprisingly, he's staying beside me, not making a sound.

"If we don't hurry, the cafeteria will probably be really crowded..." Izuku mentions, trying to get the other person to speak. There's only silence. "Um..."

"I was overpowered," I hear Shoto say. "So much so that I broke my pledge. Iida, Kaminari, Yaoyorozu, Tokoyami, Uraraka... None of them felt it. At that last instant, I was the only one who was overpowered. Only me, who had experienced All Might's full power up close."

"What...does...that mean...?"

"It means I felt something similar coming from you. Midoriya, are you...All Might's secret love child or something?" I quietly put my hand over my mouth and bite it, preventing myself from laughing. Katsuki sends me a death glare. "Well? Are you?"

"Th-That's not it! I mean, even if I was, I wouldn't say I wasn't, so I don't think you'd believe me, but anyway, that's not how it is... In the first place, let me ask you something... Why do you think that about me...?"

"Since you said, 'that's not how it is,' that means there's a connection between you two that you can't talk about, right?"

My eyes narrow when Shoto points out how Izuku phrased that sentence. Katsuki looks at me with a curious look, probably wondering if I knew anything they're talking about. I shake my head and shrug, not knowing what he's talking about.

"Endeavor's my old man," Shoto says. "I'm sure you know that he's been stuck as the number two hero for forever. If you have something from the number one hero, then I...have even more reason to beat you. My old man has a strong desire to rise in the world. As a hero, he won a name for himself with crushing force. Because of that, the living legend, All Might, is a great eyesore to him. Since he couldn't surpass All Might, he moved onto his next plan."

"What are you talking about, Todoroki...?" Izuku asks. "What are you trying to tell me?"

"You've heard of Quirk marriages, right?" My eyes widen in shock. "That thing that became a problem for the second and third generation after superpowers appeared. Choosing a spouse based only on strengthening your own Quirk and passing it onto your children, forcing people into marriage. The old-fashioned way of thinking brought about by a lack of ethics. He is a man with both accomplishments and money. He won over my mother's relatives and got a hold of my mother's Quirk. He is trying to fulfill his own desire by raising me to be a hero to surpass All Might."

What the hell...?!

"It's so annoying..." Shoto continues. "I won't become the tool of scum like that. In my memories, my mother is always crying. 'Your left side is unsightly,' my mother said as she poured boiling water on me." I tighten my fist in anger for him. "Basically, I picked a fight with you to show him what I can do, without using my damn old man's Quirk... No... I'll reject him completely by winning first place without using it." I hear footsteps walking away, but not in our direction. "I don't care if you can't tell me how you're connected to All Might. No matter what you are to All Might, I will rise above you with just my right side. Sorry for wasting your time."

"I..." Izuku starts to say while walking away as well. "I am here because of the people who have supported me. Saving people with a fearless smile, the greatest hero-- All Might. I want to be like him. In order to do that, I have to be strong enough to become number one. My motivation might seem trivial compared to yours, but I can't lose, either. I have to live up to the hopes of those who supported me. That declaration of war you gave earlier-- I'll return that. I will beat you, too!"