01 - Kaoru Sasaki: Origin

It's nighttime and I'm holding onto my All Might action figure while watching All Might's rescue on the computer. There's flames all around the area with crushed rocks blocking off some people's line of sight. I hear All Might laughing while he's carrying a lot of people on his back.

"Hahaha! It's fine now! Why? Because I am here."

All Might's amazing...! I hope to become a hero like him!

"Kaoru! Dinner's ready!" I hear Mama exclaim.

"Coming!" I respond.

I pause the video on the computer in my room. I carefully get off of the chair and rush out of my room. I walk over to the kotatsu to see Mama put four plates of food on each side of the table. I tilt my head in confusion.

Papa's out of town today, so why...?

"Sweetie, do you want to go next door and invite our neighbors to eat with us?" Mama asks.

"Yeah!" I say excitedly.

I rush towards the front door, jumping at the door hinge. I twist it to open the door, and I immediately head next door. I knock on Auntie's door several times before I hear someone open the door. I look up to see Auntie Inko, who gives me a small smile.

"Auntie! Mama made dinner again! Wanna come over with Izuku?" I ask with enthusiasm.

"Oh, Kaoru... I don't know if Izuku wants to come over..." Auntie mumbles with a sad expression.

I don't understand... Why does Auntie look sad? Why won't Izuku come over?

I know! I'll just talk to him!

I squeeze in between Auntie's legs and make my way inside Auntie's house. She's shouting at me, but I ignore her. I rush over to Izuku's room and gently push the slightly cracked door open. I look around in his room and only see his computer screen be the only light in the dark room. He's playing the same video of All Might I was earlier. Izuku slowly turns his chair around to face me, with tears running down his face.

Why is he sad? Why is he smiling?

"Kaoru..." Izuku mumbles weakly. "He saves everyone with a smile, no matter what trouble they're in... He's such a cool hero..." He points at the screen with his shaky hand. "Do you think I...can be a hero, too?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" I ask. I walk over to him and hold my hand out to him. "Did Kacchan bully you again today?"

"No..." Izuku hesitantly takes my hand. "I...don't have..." More tears are falling down his face. I gently tug his hand, getting him off of his chair. I wrap my arms around his body, giving him a hug.

"I don't know what you don't have... But!" I pull away from the hug and give him a big smile. "Anyone who can dream it can be it, right? I think you'll become a great hero someday!" Izuku looks at me with few tears running down his face.

"Kaoru..."

"Now, no more being sad! Mama's dinner is getting cold!"

-

It's the next day, and I'm hoping Mama will let me stay in bed today. Izuku's already at whatever school he goes to. I keep forgetting the name of it. I still don't understand what Izuku was talking about last night. Maybe he'll tell me when he gets home!

I hear my door open, seeing Mama walk in with a smile on her face. I quickly pretend I'm still sleeping with my eyes closed. I feel the end of my bed sink and Mama's hand gently pat my leg a few times.

"Kaoru, I know you're awake," Mama says. I pop my eyes open and pout.

"How did you know??" I whine.