11

"You not gon tell me what went down in there?" Ski looked over at me when we got in the car. "Both of y'all my best friends. I should at least know what happened."

"I know, I was gonna tell you after I go to a clinic. We don't know for sure."

"What do you mean? Didn't you take a pregnancy test?"

"Yeah, but I took three and one of them came out positive."

"Oh." He looked away. "When you going to the clinic?"

"Whenever you're free to take me. I can only go with you and I can't go by myself."

"Tomorrow. We need to go as soon as possible but I have a scheduled studio session for the rest of the day," Ski sighed, looking frustrated.

"Sorry, Ski. I can try to ask my brother if you can't-"

"No, don't. I'm taking you tomorrow. You don't have nothing to be sorry for, chill out," he told me, starting the car.

"I just wanna go home and wait for Jahseh to call," I said.

"Don't tell him about all this until you know for sure, though. Don't wanna get his hopes up."

"I won't," I mumble, not knowing if I was lying or not. "But something tells me he already knows."

"Don't think about it so much," Stokely spoke softly, shaking his head. He start the car and drove us home, to their house.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. All I wanted to do was talk to him. When we got in the house, I went right back up to his room and changed clothes. I got back in bed and laid down. I just stay here all day thinking, waiting.

Sometimes there'll be a knock at the door but I don't usually answer. I spent most of my time in the dark or just around the house once in a while. Then I got this idea.

Despite whether I'm pregnant or not, I do want to share more with Jah. I wanted something we could have together and keep. I had the perfect thing in mind.

•••

"Yes, this is the one," I giggled, still playing with the rowdy blonde puppy. I got the adoption papers and medical needs as well as a care kit. I took the puppy home in a small carrier.

By home I mean Jahseh's house. I proceeded the rest of my day tending to my new pet. I just know Jahseh will love him. I already named him Sora, after a character on Jahseh's favorite game.

For the rest of the night, I laid down next to my pup watching tv until i fell asleep.

The next morning I wake up to Ski sitting on my bed, cuddled with Sora. "This your dog?" I nodded groggily, yawning.

"I'll have Coolie and Isaiah watch him while we go to the clinic. I called in for you since you wasn't feeling good or whatever," he said, laying back. He must have gotten up early since he was already dressed and ready.

I finally get the energy to get out of bed and I pick out a large pullover with matching sweat pants and under garments. I shower and finish my morning routine, putting my clothes on.

I walk downstairs seeing Sora playing around with Isaiah and Coolie. I greet the both of them with hugs and go into the kitchen for breakfast.

"I made breakfast for everybody earlier this morning," Ski sat at the island scrolling through his phone. I quietly thank him and make my plate. I sit in the seat next to him and eat my food.

I finished eating and we left out of the house and into Ski's car. "You've been quiet this morning, you good?" I nodded.

"Azariah are you sure?" He asked me sternly but softly.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just a little nervous, going to the clinic and all," I told him. He sighed and start the car, pulling off.

"Alright, that's fine. Are you gonna tell him today if you are?"

"I think I have to." We were silent for the rest of the way there. When we got there and Ski parked, he told me to relax a little before going in. I did as told and had him take me in. I had to sit in a small waiting room until the doctor wasn't busy.

"Azariah Onfroy?" I did a double take.

"Uh, that's me," I spoke up, standing up. I gave Stokely a look which he just laughed at.

"So what seems to be the reason for this visit?" The nurse asked me, writing on her clipboard already. She lead us to a room.

"I wanted to know if I was pregnant," I told her.

"Right, so I'll have you give us some urine in this cup," she pulls a cup out from one of the cabinets. "Then I'll bring it over to get tested." I nod and take the cup her and go into the restroom. I do my thing and quickly hand her the cup.

"You feel any better?" Ski asked once the doctor left. I nodded and relax on the seat they had for me.

"Alright, let me know what you want to do after this," he started scrolling on his phone. I got my phone out too, thinking about how much I wanted him to call.

Soon enough, the doctor come back. "Congratulations, you are definitely pregnant. I was about to give you some pan-flits on child birth and abortion and what not but you're young, and I don't think they'd interest you. Did you want them?"

My heart sunk and I got a hard lump in my throat. Pregnant. A baby. With Jahseh. Why did this happen? What am I supposed to do now? Wait until Jah gets out and see how he feels about it? I need a job.

"Riah!" Ski snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Did you want the informational booklet or not?" The doctor asked. I shook my head slowly, still in shock.

"Alright, well we're gonna go to another room to check on the baby and see if they're healthy. Do you want pictures?"

"Yes, please," Ski answered for me. She nodded and led us into a different room with one of those ultrasound monitors and an adjustable chair thing.

"Take a seat and lift your shirt, please." I did as told and watched as Ski pulled up a seat right beside me. I proceeded to lay back on the chair and wait for the doctor to get ready.

"It's cold," she warned before smearing a clear gel substance over my tummy.

She took her little knob thingy that was connected to the monitor and moved it around my stomach. We heard swooshing from the monitor until the screen focused on a small little orb. She adjusted the camera thing and I saw the baby. Our baby.

I looked at Ski with watery eyes and he happened to be recording the whole thing. Soon, we could hear a heartbeat. "Oh my god," I whimpered, letting tears fall.

When he stopped recording, he gave me a tight hug. "Congrats, mama," he laughed, wiping his own tears.

The doctor started pointing out already formed parts of the baby. I'm gonna give birth to another human. Holy fuck.

We didn't want a relationship because we knew it'd only be temporary. Now no matter what, we need to be around each other. If he got me pregnant on purpose, then that must mean he won't leave. I can't let that happen. He has a whole career.

What about me?

••••