58

2 months later

"That's it!" I shout to Ryan after my 3rd beer. "I'm tired of sitting around moping about Rian. I'm tired of wondering what would have happened if I told her I would marry her, I'm tired of wishing I would have proposed before she left" I tell him.
"So what are you gunna do?" He asks calmly next to me.
"I'm gunna go to Michigan and do what I should have done 2 months ago...propose!" I exclaim.
"You can't just spend 2 months being broke up and then fly to her and make some big gesture, she could be over you. She could have moved on" he counters.
"Then I'll take the no. But at least I can stop wondering what if. I love her, I'm in love with her and I'm so angry at myself for leaving her like I did. I mean I just let her go like that."
"Why the change of heart? Why now do you want to get married."
"Because I love her and would do anything for her." I shrug. He says nothing and just sips his beer.

The next day I booked a plan ticket to Michigan for the following day.
My phone goes off next to me and pick it up to see it's Dallon.
"Hey dude" I answer
"Brendon don't do it." He orders.
"Do what?" I ask.
"Go to Michigan. It's been two months, she's moved on. You're gunna ruin her...more than you already have."
"What are you talking about?"
"How could you not see it? She's been through so much. Maybe it's best you leave her be."
"Who told you I was going?"
"Ryan, obviously. You need to leave her alone. You're acting crazy. More than crazy....there's no word for how you're acting. She needs to move on and so should you."
"There is a word for that! It's love, if you're looking for the word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want no matter how much it destroys you, it's love.
And when you love someone you just-you don't stop, ever. Even when people roll their eyes or call you crazy, even then-especially then. You just- you don't give up because if I could give up, if I could just take the whole worlds advice and move on and find someone else that wouldn't be love, that would be-that would be some other disposable thing that is not worth fighting for but that is not what this is. Look Rian and I had been through a lot but it's nothing we can't handle. So I'm going to Michigan and I'm gunna propose and even if I get turned down at least I know that we aren't meant to be." I explain.
"O-okay. Fine. Do what you have to do just don't be surprised if she shoots you down"

I'm about to get in my car to go the airport when I'm stopped by Ryan.
He runs down to me from his car with a look on his face like I've never seen.
"Brendon stop! Don't chase after her." He orders.
"You can't stop me Ryan! I love her" I almost stomp my foot.
"I know you do Brendon but I-" he stops, looking at me and then down at his hands. "I have to tell you something." He gulps. "Remember when Rian left the first time? And you and I tried to get together?" He asks.
"Yeah, why?" I question.
"Do you remember why it didn't work?"
"I wasn't ready to move on-what's your point? I have a flight?"
"Well, maybe you can stay here for me and get to a point to where you are ready? Brendon I'm in love with you and I've been trying to be with you since I came back. I mean, don't I get a chance? Why aren't you rushing to get me back?"
"Because" I freeze. "I don't feel the way I feel towards Rian as I do you. We will always have that night a while back but I see you as my friend now. You've been here next to me since Rian was in a coma-as my friend. Can't you just be my friend and support me?" I ask, pleading. He's silent for a long time and then he looks at me before saying, "No, I'm sorry" and walking away. I drop my head and turn to my car.
"Just know Brendon, if you come back here-with her I won't be around for it. It'll hurt me too much" he's on the verge of crying.
"I understand" I nod and then get in my car and drive off.