48

The jury comes back in and I instantly tense up.
"Has the jury reached a verdict?" The judge asks.
"We have your honor" the first person says. "We the jury, find the defendant...not guilty due to lack of evidence" she says. My heart drops and I feel as if I have a lump in my throat. I feel Rians arms tense and then drop next to me.
"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I shout, shooting up.
"Out of order!!!" The Judge bangs his gavel.
"You're out of order!!! This is an outrage." I shout.
"Mr. Urie, if you do not calm down I'll have to place you in contempt" he shouts.
"Brendon sit down please" Rian cries, standing up. I groan and grab her hand.
"I demand a retrial." I tell him.
"That's something you'll have to discuss with your lawyer"
"Oh there will be a retrial. And this time, we'll have so much evidence you'll be so shocked as to how you let yourself keep this man on the streets" I get louder.
"Brendon can we please just go" Rian sighs. I nod and we leave, following my lawyer.
"So how do we do this? I want a retrial." I tell her.
"It's not going to be easy. Getting the same case put in court....And getting the evidence you mentioned" she looks down.
"I don't care if it takes a year, 2 years whatever. I'll do retrials until this man is in prison"
"Brendon please. I don't want this to be any bigger than it is" Rian pleads.
"Rian, we have to get this guy. To protect you and all women."
" I know. I'm just drained" she sounds like it too.
"Okay, how about I take you home. You can get some rest. I'll be back later tonight"
"I- I want you with me. Please"
"Babe. I have to get this sorted out. I'll be back at 5. Is that okay?" I offer.
"Okay" she says in barley a whisper.

I take her back to the apartment and she's very quiet. "Ri?" I ask as we drive on the highway.
"Yeah?" She asks, looking at me.
"I love you, okay? I just can't stand the idea of him being out there and attempting to hurt other women. And he hurt you too." I tell her.
"I know I just wish it was all done" she shrugs.
"Me too. And if I ever see him in person again I'll fucking end him" I explain, my knuckles turning white as I grip the steering wheel harder.
"No, Brendon can't we just move past this. I don't want to be hurting anymore"
"But Rian-" she cuts me off.
"I can't even start to move on it you drag this out anymore. I appreciate what you are trying to do but it's not worth it." She pleads, if she thinks I'm not going to continue with this trial then she's sadly mistaken.
Once we get to the apartment I walk her inside and let her lay down.
"I'll be back later okay?" I tell her. She opens her mouth to protest but then shuts it.
"I love you" I smile. She nods and shuts her eyes turning away from me.

I end up back at my lawyers office until almost 9 and then decide to head home. We barely a found any evidence on this guy, it's so aggravating. I want to end this guy and now.
When I get to the apartment I instantly go to the room to find Rian still fast asleep on the bed cuddled with a blanket.
"I love you" I whisper and kiss her head, falling asleep next to her.