37

"There has to be something you can do!" Rian's mother yells at one of the doctors. Rian has been in her coma for 1 month exactly today. Rian's mother has been here 3 times since the accident as she lives far away and can't make it out that much. Today when she was told it had been a whole month since her daughter slipped into a coma she freaked out. She's been yelling at nurses and doctors for 10 minutes now and I'm just sitting here next to Rian, holding her unmoving hand, staring at her enraged mother.
The doctor looks to me for help, I just give him a shrug and then look back to Rian. There has to be something they can do, I agree but here she lay, asleep.
"Please, she's my only child...she's all I have" she cries and my heart sinks. The only person in her life has been in a long sleep for a month and no one can do anything about it.
"Ms. Night, I'm sorry. We've done everything we can for now. All we can do is wait" he informs her, as everyone else has.
"I've been waiting for a month! She's still in a coma! Can't you just shock her awake or something, anything!?" she gets louder.
"I don't think you want us to do that Ms. Night, it's been proven that trying to shock someone in a coma not only doesn't work but causes pain to them even though asleep. If you want whats best for her you'll wait patiently for her wake up. It shouldn't be too long now." he explains and then leaves the room. Rian's mom lets out a loud sigh and drops her head.
"Brendon, I've never thanked you for being here for my daughter" she begins. "So thank you" she smiles. "I've never seen her happier, not even with Ian. They were together a year," she informs me. She looks from me to Rian and her eyes water. "She has to make it out of this, she just has to. She's all I have" she begins to break down. I grab her and pull her in for a hug, with tears threating to spill over my cheeks.
"She'll be okay, she'll make it out. She's strong" I tell her and she nods against my chest.
-----------
I sit in the studio with Dallon and a bunch of other people trying to get a song done but I can't concentrate. Is she okay? Is she awake? No, her mom would call me if she was. How can I do anything when my girlfriend is in a coma, in a hospital bed.
"Brendon" Dallon snaps his fingers in front of my face. I turn my attention to him and he looks concerned. "Maybe you should go home, we can call it a day," he tells me. I pause for a moment and look at him, he's right, I'm not going to get any work done here anyway. I nod silently and grab my stuff. I walk to my car when my phone goes off, I slide the answer button and put the phone to my ear.
"Hello," I answer.
"She's awake," is all I hear before I shove my phone in my pocket and race to my car, getting in and opening the door.
I drive really fast to the hospital while mostly obeying the traffic laws. Once I get there I spare no time racing to her room but once I am there her mother stops me looking concerned.
"Brendon..." she sighs.
"How is she? Is she okay?" I ask really fast.
"She's fine Brendon but...Brendon" she sighs again. She pauses, looking from me to the floor and to me again. "She doesn't remember a lot. Like at all."
"What?" I ask pushing past her and going into her room and there she is, awake and as beautiful as ever.
"Rian" I smile but she doesn't. She looks confused.
"Who are you?" she asks and my heart drops to my stomach.
"I'm...Brendon" I choke out. "Your boyfriend," I tell her.
"No, Ian is my boyfriend. Where's Ian?" she looks to her mom and so do I. The doctor comes in soon to explain to me why my girlfriend doesn't remember me.
"Hello, Mr. Urie. Rian seems to be suffering from long-term memory loss. She doesn't remember anything dating back to what looks like almost a year, we've determined it is not permanent. She should regain her memory soon, you just have to remind her and try to jog her memory. It should click soon, try showing her videos or pictures from events and it should start to click." he informs me and I stand there dumbfounded. I look back to Rian who is still confused.
"Rian, I am your boyfriend. We've been dating for 6 months. You and Ian broke up a while ago"
"No...I don't know who you are" she shakes her head. I let out a sigh and pull my phone out, showing her my lock screen. The two of us smiling for the camera.
"What? No"
"Ms. Night, it's like I said. You were in an accident. You fell 40 feet and you've been in a coma for the past month. Anything he tells you is the truth" the doctor tells her and she nods.
"O-okay but I don't remember him, I'm sure we were together but I don't remember him." She admits.
"I know Rian but we are together and I'm going to work to make you remember." I go to grab her hand but she pulls her hand out.