Entry 121: Getting nowhere fast

After a good sleep, my body feels much lighter. I guess the stomach medicine was effective because my stomach feels fine. Actually, I feel pretty good. Like I've had a nourishing meal. I'd like to thank Elizabeth for that if nothing else.

[Transmission comes in.]

Rin: Good morning President Hakuno. Glad to hear your stomach hasn't been destroyed.

Rani: There will be no briefing today. Once you've completed your preparations, please proceed to the fifteenth floor of the Labyrinth.

Rin: Sorry. We've got some stuff to deal with over here. There's no new info right now, so you can start your exploration whenever you like. Of course, we'll be monitoring you if you're in the Labyrinth! ...all right, good luck.

It sounds like the council is very busy. I should make sure not to get in their way, and head to Labyrinth after I finish preparations.

[Heading out around the school, we pick up a bento from Sakura. Also upon talking to one of the student NPCs, she vanishes into black noise, while pleading that she's never opposed BB and will do whatever BB wants. Proceeding further down the hallway...]

I run into Kiara Sesshouin in front of a classroom. ...for some reason she just came out of an unused classroom, along with a male student NPC and a female student NPC. The NPCs leave hurriedly, faces flushed and not meeting my eyes.

Kiara: Hello Hakuno. The weather is nice today...no, this evening.

Kiara greets me, or something, with her gentle smile. ...I don't dare to ask what she was doing. Rather, it's lucky I met her here. Kiara did explain that she wouldn't get involved with BB due to her own weakness, but the time for such leniency has passed. The problem now concerns not only the moon. If BB reaches the Moon Cell Core, then the earth...everyone on the planet will be face destruction. I re-propose that we cooperate.

Kiara: Oh, you want my help? The earth is in danger...BB plans to free everyone's desires, you say. If I consider what you're saying...heehee. Not even I would be tricked by such nonsense. BB could never do something so outrageous. She has no reason to do so. Her goal has always been —

Having said that much, Kiara puts a finger to her lips and halts her own words. ...she knows what BB's goal is...?

Kiara: Ahem. Me of all people, letting my tongue slip. You were just so cute, Hakuno, I couldn't help it. Moreover, Hakuno. The human race will be destroyed if their desires are let loose...what is the basis for that story?

It seems that Kiara won't believe what consequences BB's actions will bring about. That's understandable. I'd doubt it myself if I BB hadn't shown me that spectacle. Anyway, I explain to Kiara about the "Seven Later" simulation we ran in the student council room.

Kiara: Ah, I didn't notice they'd been up to such a thing. ...and to think they were just recently attacked, I suppose we should expect this of Rin and Rani. Then I suppose it's true that humanity will be destroyed. Knowing that I must decline to cooperate. Please understand.

I've been bluntly refused. ...I really don't understand this woman, Kiara Sesshouin. The whole human race, not to mention her own life, might be destroyed, and she still means to passively observe? She saved so many people from suffering, doesn't she feel for the lives that will be lost...?

Kiara: ...Yes. Such are my master's teachings. You may certainly consider me inhuman if you like. However, our school affirms desire. To release the spirit into the net's sea of stars, to reach the truth of nirvana from earthly desire, to overcome all Maya, and to attain enlightenment — All creation is an illusion. All things are nothingness. Even if this transient world is destroyed, as long as this virtual world remains there will be hope. Because of their desires people cannot perceive the truth and deny their desires, and consequently cannot grasp the truth. That is the tragedy of existence. But the people who liberated their desires unto me received complete acceptance, and so died, they were happy. The release of desire is a form of truth. If that truth can be brought to the whole world, how could I deny it? But I still accept you, even if you wish to prevent that. Those feelings are good. ...once, everything I thought was right on Earth became evil. I cannot let myself repeat that mistake. Therefore, I will do nothing. I've decided that my only desire will be to love those who love me.

...Kiara speaks slowly and quietly, as if in prayer. This woman was revered as the Earth's last holy person. A woman who, though she saved many, could save none. ...her point of view must be different from that of a common person like me. She's refused me so clearly thus far, I can't push her any more.

Kiara: I'm very sorry, Hakuno. Please understand. I am still fearful of others' love. But I love you from the bottom of my heart. Please be safe in your battle. May your heart save the world —

[I head to the item kiosk and buy a bunch of formal wear and some lime-green...slippers? For Hakuno. I have yet to figure out why these are called "fetish feet." From there it's on to the Labyrinth.]

Sakura Labyrinth Floor -15: No Past

Rin: Now then. Sorry about earlier, cutting out so suddenly. We weren't at a good place to break off in our inquiries.

There's no need to worry about that. The data we gather would be meaningless if they didn't analyze it. Really I can't thank them enough.

Rin: Thanks for saying so. Now, let's start with a scan, I guess. ......huh?

Rani: This floor appears very small. We're also getting only a few enemy signals.

Sakura: So instead there's one powerful enemy here...where is it?

Rani: No, there's no sign of that either. I don't know why, but there appears to be little danger on this floor.

I wonder what this means...? This is the last floor under Elizabeth's protection, it ought to be more strictly guarded than the other floors, not less. Yet in spite of that — there's little danger?

Rin: It is possible there's some kind of trap here. Please, proceed with caution.

[Proceeding straight and through a couple enemy programs, we reach a shield.]

...huh? Maybe we took a wrong turn. We only just started exploring, but the path is blocked by a shield. This can't be the end of this —

Rani: No, that is the end of the fifteenth floor. There's nothing past there but the staircase.

It really is the end. That's a problem, though. We haven't even encountered Elizabeth yet, to say nothing of her SG.

Rani: Indeed. One possibility I can think of is that Shinji Matou has concealed Elizabeth somehow. He has displayed such behaviour on previous floors. It is a viable tactic.

Rin: If you can't see the Sentinel, you won't be able to extract her SG...It's not a very crafty scheme, but it is accurate. But, is it possible to fully conceal the ego-fragment that forms the core? If they can, then to be blunt they've already won.

Rani: I don't know how they'd do it. A bit of investigation may be necessary...this is well-timed. President, please return for now. We are in the midst of some information on another matter.

We've reached a stalemate in any case, so I don't mind going back...but what is this "other matter"?

Rin: We'll explain when you return. Sorry to waste your time, but can you come to the student council room once you get back? Thanks.