Entry 119: The DDD

Having travelled around the whole Labyrinth, we finally arrive at the last table. The dinner table. I had my suspicions, but this table is filled with more food than I ever imagined. A full course meal in red. The all in red. Every last bit of it is red.

Elizabeth: Already overwhelmed, I see! This is Dracul's Dinner, or in other words the DD Dining table! Unfortunately, I couldn't have it all brought out in turn, but all of it will keep well. We'll set aside proper etiquette this time. I'll overlook any bad manners you show. So don't hold back and start eating with whatever you like!

Shinji: So uh, I know this is coming from me, but you know those guys have "Shinji-kun" right? This plan is a failure. Don't you think it would be a lot more realistic to stop fixating on the cooking and just attack them directly?

Elizabeth: You just don't understand, do you, rat. This is why you'll never be more than third-rate. This is no longer a problem of that dimension.

Without even casting a glance at Shinji, Elizabeth keeps her eyes fixed on us. Behind the two of them towers a fully-automatic clean-plate triggered locked door. ...indeed, if we use Unarmed Shinji-kun we'll be able to open that door easily. But, it is true, this isn't that kind of problem anymore. My goal is not opening that door. It's to strike down the shield that lies beyond that door. In other words, to obtain Elizabeth's secret. No mechanical food-processing device will be able to move her heart—!

Shinji: You...you're really going to try it....!? You're gonna step up to that bright red hell!!

I glance at Shinji where he stands trembling, take my seat at the table. I think my hands are trembling too, as they hold the knife and fork, but it could be my imagination. Quiet down, right hand.

Gilgamesh: ...Hakuno. Unfortunately, there is no seasoning in my treasury that will make this food taste good. However, if you would like a magic herb to prepare your stomach I have something available. The only problem is that after you drink it you will lose your sense of taste forever...will you use it?

Gilgamesh...Thanks. Your concern for me has stopped the shaking. But this is something I must surmount with my own hands...or my own mouth, rather. Elizabeth prepared this meal especially for me. I know just how difficult this battle will be. So, in the event that I am able to eat all this — will you come back with me to my village and marry me?

Gilgamesh: I see you're well prepared. Now show me how you will rise above this fate of death you've foreshadowed for yourself.

— Now, now here I go. All I need now is preparation, determination, and the reckless courage to forget the pain. I turn my gaze to Elizabeth who is looking at me seriously as if paying no heed to the noise Gilgamesh and I are making.

— Thank you for the meal.

Elizabeth: Yes...bon appétit.

[There is a brief flash of red.]

]