Entry 32: We have so many questionable ethics

Leo: Welcome back Hakuno. Did you learn anything helpful from Kiara?

I report that more than just a hint, I learned the true nature of the shield. Leo is surprised, but he still nodes with an understanding face, as if
he expected as much.

Leo: As Kiara said, I've studied psychology, but it was all just information. Even if I could measure the darkness of the human heart, I wouldn't know how to heal it.

Gawain: What are you saying, Leo? Your radiance is as the light of the sun. Anyone wrapped in darkness would be freed of it simply by beholding you.

Leo: Thank you Gawain. I will remember that. Instead of a one-sided faith, I will aim for a more human path to salvation.

Saying that Leo's profile becomes just a little lonely. ...some vague memory suddenly floats across my mind. He really was the sun that illuminates everything. He had a kind of divine kingship that cleared away all obstacles, and all feelings. But it would never solve the fundamental problem. If you're saved by the sun's illumination, the moment the sun is gone, you will fall into darkness again.

From my perspective, I can see that problem, but I wonder if he himself became aware of it in his last moments...?

[Kiara enters the room.]

Kiara: Excuse me. Kiara Sesshouin, come to add my powers to your cause — oh my, what a serious atmosphere. I feel awkward, intruding on
this secret boys' meeting. If it's just bad luck, shall I try coming back later?

Leo: No, we were waiting for you, Kiara. To get straight to the point, please instruct us in how to take down the shield.

Kiara: Yes, please leave it to me. Or so I'd say, but all I can do is explain and transfer it to you.

Leo: Transfer...? Do you mean you have in your possession some effective countermeasure?

Kiara: Yes. But please wait for that. Please first let me explain to you what the walls of the heart are. The walls of the heart are, as singular objects, difficult to destroy. The wall isn't something to be destroyed, but something to be understood. Please think of it that way.

Leo: Understand...is it? So, we aren't sweeping away the troubles of the heart?

Kiara: Yes. We want to see through to the hidden character, the proper state of Rin Tohsaka's heart, which is the origin of the wall, and accept that. Speak with her, fight with her, observe her, and so discover her "secrets." Those will become the keys to open that door.

Gawain: To know your enemy, cross blades with him, and so lay each other bare — that's what you're saying?

Julius: Impossible. What do you understand about people that way? Sesshouin. You may know how to do this sort of neat tidying up on earth, but this is a battlefield. Show us a specific, concrete method.

Kiara: Of course, I'm aware of that. The normal way to represent the motions of the human heart, the reactions of the soul, is to process them as the rise and fall of a graph. To measure metaphysical things, the observer must also become a spiritual existence. That is the farthest land that all religions aim for. The third eye, the eye that sees not the image but the countenance, the eye of meditation, which is lost to us, and so we cannot see the shape of the soul. To find the real thing would require long training, but right now is something of an emergency. So this time, I will especially transfer to you an imitation of the Five Thought-Stopping Meditations Program...Eden style version. What, it's not such a special program. It just finds the openings to a person's heart and exposing the backwaters that the person themselves is not even aware of.