Entry 79: What is love? (Hint: Not this.)

Some hours have passed since we explored the eighth floor. I was tired, and Leo and the others were putting our information in order. I should go to the student council room and give my report from yesterday already.

I enter the student council room. It's the usual crowd today...no, Julius is here this morning too. If he's here to participate in the briefing, does that mean he's done with his secret mission from Leo?

Leo: Good morning. At last, we've reached the ninth level, the last floor of the Labyrinth that has the Alter Ego Passionlip as its core. Our goals haven't changed. We need to restore our memories and reach the end of the Labyrinth.

Gatou: Hm, President Leo. Shouldn't we remember to overthrow BB? She is the root of all evil, the devil-serpent we must repel, isn't she?

Leo: The removal of Passionlip, who gives form to the shields, is necessary, but the removal of BB depends on the situation. Please think of it that way. Brother, explain.

Julius: It isn't necessary for us to fight with BB. If we can just escape to the near side, she will no longer be able to do anything to do. No matter how powerful BB's authority is, it's only on the far side of the moon. If we get to the near side, She won't have any more power than your average enemy program. She just has a specialized anti-Servant virus, "Servant Eater." The vaccine for it has already been developed. Once on the near side again, it won't be corroded by the black noise any longer. Leo, Rin Tohsaka, Rani...Hakuno Kishinami? It's just that these four people were dragged her in a surprise attack. BB is worthless on the near side. We don't need to fight her on the far side, which she happens to control.

Sakura: ...that's true. BB can only act on the far side of the moon. After all, if she goes to the near side, the Moon Cell with recognize her as a rogue AI and delete her.

Gatou: Hmm. So the queen of the dead is only a person if she comes to earth, I see. Not even BB can defy the Moon Cell. Mm? Then, does that mean that once we return to the Holy Grail War BB will be eliminated? How long have we been here anyway? We must be considered missing and unaccounted for over there. If we missing persons return, this whole incident will be clarified. The Moon Cell will finally turn its eyes to the far side of the moon, discover BB, and destroy her. It will be an automatic victory for us!

Rin: ...that's if the time elapsed over there is the same as the time elapsed here. But your point that we'll have won if we reach the near side is solid. So President Leo will ignore BB as much as possible and focus on traversing the Labyrinth.

Leo: Right. She may be rogue, but she behaves exceedingly rationally. This applies to the Sakura Labyrinth as well. She won't expand it more than is necessary. She increased the number of floors because we had reached the end. Because it was essential to do so, in other words. She won't expand the Labyrinth without a reason to do so. It's a limitation of her AI's attempts to optimize. She doesn't have the capability to expand it for no reason like a human would. Conversely, if we don't reach the end of the Labyrinth, the Labyrinth won't be expanded. Based on Sakura's observations, the Labyrinth expanded by six floors after we freed Rani. We've been through eight floors now, so penetrating the remaining four floors should be our final goal. Passionlip comes first. As the Alter Ego is the Labyrinth's core, it must be lying dormant within the Labyrinth. Investigate Passionlip and reveal her SG. After that, enter the quasi-soul space of her AI, and destroy the Alter Ego from the inside. If possible, recover our memories in the process. Though there are four floors left, there's no such thing as having too much information or secret weapons.

Sakura: But please don't worry about that too much...Even if you return to the near side without your memories, they won't stay forgotten. The Moon Cell observes and records everything. If it identifies deficits in the participants' memories, it should instantly repair them.