Entry 98: Grand ambitions

[Apparently, the important thing right now is: our total money acquired has reached 250000Sm!]

He...hehehe...hehehehehe...I've been saving up...I've got some savings...With this much in the bank, I'll definitely be able to win over Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh: That's a strange sound you're making. A headache? Did you eat something that disagreed with you?

My Servant is as disrespectful as ever. Well, he can do so while he's still got the chance. No matter what, today I'm a whole new person — all right, now, look at this and kneel before your Master!

Gilgamesh: Hm? Your treasury is what, now? ........................this is —

...I've won. I've won without a doubt. And now the bells of victory will ring out loud above my head...!

Gilgamesh: ...hopeless. Such a pitiful sight could bring one to fits of weeping...As meagre a treasury as always, ...what are you doing showing me such a sparrow's nest disaster sight, Hassan.

Wha — he's really calling me that disgraceful name...again? How. The amount I've managed to save shouldn't even be comparable to what I had back then!

Gilgamesh: Or what? Are you trying to get money from the wealthy by displaying your poverty? I see that does make sense. In that case, by showing off your own poverty you're saying you want alms from me.

Of course, that's not—!

Gilgamesh: It's fine, my pauper. If you want money you may so at any time. If you do work of sufficient value I will grant you alms whenever. After all, I am most generous.

I just wanted to show up this haughty Servant, why has it come to this humiliation...I see, so just saving up a little won't work. If I want to shock Gilgamesh, I'll just have to raise the count and aim for the upper limits —

Gilgamesh: Ah. I'm bored, Hassan. Bring some food and drink. Provided that it's not the spicy mapo they sell at the item kiosk sometimes. That won't do.

...I'm going to do it. I'll to save up as much as I can, and then we'll see if this Servant has the audacity to call me Hassan again!

[Well, that business is dealt with, moving on to our regularly scheduled conversation.]

Gilgamesh: I don't require rest, but I suppose you may need some time to react to the way that man lived. Monji Gatou, he was called? It is because there are occasionally those that reach that level that religion one cannot make light of religion. He was still far from enlightenment, but I'd say that was enough to qualify him as a model monk. In the sense of a guide who explains and teaches the path to his disciples. If he got rid of that personality of his, that is. The moment that man accepted his own death, he divested himself of the vows he'd made to himself before. The vow to seek the god he believed in. Once he gave up that obstinate egoism, all that remained were his long cultivated, accumulated virtues. Human beings are ineffective creatures. If they lose their egoism, they will never aim high enough, and if they keep their egoism, they can never reach enlightenment. All of this is the work of those who cannot escape the status of "Messiah," human suffering. This is why — there are things worth seeing in the footprints of humanity. It's the same for Jinako Karigiri. Where will that woman's realization lead her? Let us go and find out.

[Next morning:]

Another night with no sunset nor sunrise comes to an end. I remember that when I came back yesterday Leo said we had things to discuss. I'll have to go to the student council room, heavy-hearted as I may be. ...and, in any case, we haven't made it through the Labyrinth yet. The final battle with Jinako is still awaiting us.