Kuroko x Reader x Kise

-FUTURE WINNIE HEREEEE! This has been completely rewritten. 11/8/2016-

  Working as a doctor isn't easy, but you don't need to be reinforcing that fact because everybody knows this. You get through the day on sheer willpower. However, you still have valuable colleagues that stick around on your toughest shifts. Sometimes you'd be drenched in sweat and blood from surgeries, and sometimes you'd just want to give up and crawl in a ball. But you stick with it because you do this to save lives, and that means more than anything to you.

"Hey, (Your Name). Rough day?" you hear a soft murmur and break away from your trance to see Kuroko leaning against the wall with you.

  You've been like that for a while now, not just from exhaustion, but also from the crippling aftermath of a failed surgery. It happens all the time, and people keep telling you that you get used to losing lives. But you never really do, because you somehow carry the burden of delivering the news. After watching countless people break down in front of you, you start to erode away into nothingness. Sometimes they even haunt you in your dreams, which takes away from the precious sleep you need.

"Yeah." you whisper under your breath as you sigh.

  Kuroko works at the counter desk as one of the on demand nurses. He's excellent at his job, and you can't think of anybody else who qualifies for the job. He is calm and composed even when people dash in with gashes across their face. There's a simple atmosphere around him that puts people at ease, and that skill really comes in handy when distress ensues. He's been with you since your intern days, so you trust him with everything you feel and say. His light blue hair gets in his face and he flicks it with his fingers. If you weren't so miserable right now, you'd think that what he just did was adorable. You quickly avert your gaze, but he catches it at the last second.

"I heard you lost another patient today." he says softly, he seems careful not to aggravate the situation.

"Yeah, her name was (Any Name You Desire). She was barely 10 years old." you choke up and you quickly attempt to blink away the tears.

"I'm sure that she's in a better place, (Your Name)." he whispers as he scoots closer to you before entangling his fingers through your trembling ones.

"I hope so." you whimper into his shoulder as he wraps his arm around you.

  At that moment, you feel the cool air from the surgery room whoosh past you, and you open your tightly shut eyes to see the surgery door sliding open to reveal a very pale looking Kise. Both of you have been close since you got into the same hospital as fellow interns. He's been assigned to the children's wing so you didn't seem him much until today. You've started to develop feelings for Kise after all these years. Now that you both have a sturdy position in the hospital itself, your feelings only intensify. Little do you know that Kuroko watches over you. He's always been there for you, but like a shadow he is outshone by Kise himself.

 This surgery took more than just his squad, which is why you were put in as well. Your heart twinges as you see how red his eyes are.He's been trying to keep his cool for so long, for the sake of his other doctors. But now that she's officially gone, he's free to let it all out. His eyes widen as he sees you and Kuroko together. Perhaps he didn't expect to see anybody still out there. His face clouds over and he takes quick strides into a nearby room. You exchange a brief look with Kuroko and he nods at you to go. Maybe it's something you just imagined, but he really looks upset about you leaving his side. You pull your hand away reluctantly before dashing after the blonde. You stop the door just as it is about to slam shut and his face literally reflects off the pain and anguish you feel too.

  Small hiccups resonate from his chest, and you just listen to his heavy breathes until he finally calms down a little. You reach out hesitantly and wipe away the tears with the back of your hand. His tears feel warm, and you finally realise that that's the type of person he is. He's gentle and charming around everybody, especially kids. He wasn't allowed to have favourites, but that little girl was his everything. He tried so hard to keep her happy, but all his efforts seem to feel like they didn't work as well. She was under so much stress and pain until her body finally gave away, and Kise hated himself for allowing her to succumb to such darkness. He leans his face into your palms for reassurance and you quickly push yourself into his chest before wrapping your arms around him. Kise hesitates again before returning your embrace. You feel endless tears drip into your white coat, but you don't really care.

  You loved this man with all your heart, and it hurt you to see him so devastated. 

"Kise. It's going to be okay." you whisper under your breath, but you don't sound too convincing either. Honestly, you're scared for the future itself too. "We all did our best."

"But our best wasn't enough, (Your Name)." He sobs into your shoulder. "We're doctors for christ's sake. We're supposed to save lives." 

"Kise. You did save her life." you breathe. "You have no idea how happy she looked whenever you were around. You lit up her life, Kise. Be proud of yourself for once."

"(Your Name)..." his voice weakens again and his sniffles grow more severe.

  You both don't exchange a single word as you continue to hold each other. In such a hectic environment, you both only have each other to lean on. He understands you as a surgeon, and you understand him as a superior. But what's more important is that he understands you as your man. He's always avoided confronting his feelings for you, but now he knows how much he means to you. Kuroko dissipates from your mind as Kise draws his salty lips closer to yours. It just seems so right with Kise, there are no decisions to be made.