Midorima Shintaro

-Thank you for 1.2K Reads!!! That's amazing~. Future Winnie here! This oneshot has been rewritten! 8/8/2016-

  Basketball has been and will always be your favourite sport. It isn't just because it's fun, you connect with it emotionally and physically. Nothing else really matters to you as much as the experience itself. You've played on the team for more years than anyone else, you deserved the title of ace and you finally achieved that name. However, reality really is cruel. You get hurt badly during the game that would've take you to nationals if you won it. You still remember the shattering sensation in your knee upon impact. You hark back to that exact moment where your leg screams out in pain and cringe automatically. You refuse to accept your fate, and started to jump back into playing despite your doctor telling you that you cannot do so. Your injury gets worse and your parents' finally resort into banning you from any sort of activity involving active running.

 Your basketball shoes sit on the shelf. You remember when they were new. You remember not wanting to wear them to training, despite having bought them for that exact purpose. The soles were spotless and the material was squeaky clean. Now they lay strewn in an old shoe box, worn out and torn up from overuse. Even so, you put them on everyday and refuse to take them off. With your feet in them, you can close your eyes and remember how it felt to win a game. You'd see images of your fists pumped up in the air with so much energy and just cry your lungs out. You feel like a part of you has been torn away from you.

  It doesn't really help that you go to Shutoku High, where the basketball team is well-known for it's excellent result at each basketball tournament held in the country. Sometimes, curiosity gets the best of you, and you head into the gym after classes to just watch the players enjoying their time. It rejuvenates you a little, but it also hurts you even more. It was on one of these days where you are interrupted rudely by a tall man.

"I don't think you're allowed to be here." the green-head says. "What are you doing?"

"Um sorry, I was just curious." you mumble before bowing slightly and walking away quickly.

  Midorima turned to watch you go, and when you disappear around the corner, Takao bounds out to torment their basketball ace. He tries to shake off the uneasy feeling, but it doesn't really go away. So he finally opens his mouth to inquire his best friend about you.

"Hey, I just saw (Your Name) outside. Does she come here often?" he asks timidly and Takao turns to him in surprise. After all, he's never been one to really give a shit about girls.

"I guess so. She likes to watch us play. We don't really mind her presence so we disregard her." Takao explains. "But I heard she used to be a basketball prodigy."

"Oh?" The word 'prodigy' catches Shintaro's attention. "Why the past tense?"

"Shin-chan, you mean you really don't know?" Takao gasps in disbelief. "She got injured badly about a year ago. She's not allowed to play anymore."

"I see. That's unfortunate."

  Midorima spends the whole night thinking back to what Takao told him.Somehow, he couldn't possibly get you out of his head. You looked so sad and derived, that even someone like him could pity you. He resolves to help you regain your livelihood and finally falls asleep.

"(Your Name)." Midorima coughs your name awkwardly during class and you turn around to look at him in surprise.

"Y-yeah?" you whisper under your breath.

"I want you to be our basketball team manager."