Kōichi Kawahara

-In case you guys don't know this guy. He's the member of seirin who said that he was a poorly child and never got a girlfriend before. Hey hey, Future Winnie here! This has been edited! 10/8/2016-

  You enjoyed watching people play sports. Any sport really does the trick, whether it be tennis or soccer. You don't really know the rules to many of the sports games you attend to watch the players go at it with their all. After all, it's something you do to past time. It makes you feel really alive. Today an acquaintance of yours urged you to come out and watch their basketball team train. Riko knows how much you love it, and she understands what you've been through. She's never one to make compromises allowing unnecessary people to tag along when they planned a training session outside of school. But you truly and exception in her eyes, as she feels like you deserve the world on a plate for what happened to you a few years ago.

"Koichi!!! You have to try harder! You're coming last in warm up jogging every time. You should increase your fitness." Coach Riko sounds pretty dejected, but it's her job to sound harsh as a coach.

"Coach! I'm sorry! I'll try harder!" Koichi bows and joins the other members in training.

You see, Koichi wasn't like Kagami or Aomine. He had such poor health when he was younger, it really isn't his fault that he lacked a few steps behind. He's never really had the experience built in his muscles from running around and being active during his youthful days. Frequently entering and leaving the hospital was really the only thing that he can remember. He never had the time to do the things normal kids would do. Whether that be something like dating or going out to play sports with his friends. Now that he's determined to play a role in Seisin's basketball team, he's been getting better steadily. However, he's still one to be warming the benches while the first string took first priority on the court.

You sketch out a figure of Koichi jogging. His face looked really tired. You glance up again to see Koichi taking a sip of water. It's a nervous habit of yours to just sit down and draw anything. These days, you've been sketching and painting drawings of people in action. You just liked how complex their emotions look. It's an unreadable expression. But you detect the passion and determination you struggle so hard to understand.The soft sound of your wooden pencil calms you down a little bit.

"U-um." You hear a voice in front of you as a shadow falls on your sketch pad.

You slam your sketchbook shut and look up to see Koichi scratching his head. He motions to a blue towel next to you and you scooch over a little, and Koichi sits down and beings to wipe down his sweat. His skin is slightly flushed from the vigorous running, and his short pants reach your ears irregularly. He's never one to initiate a conversation with a girl, as they don't seem to be very open to talking with him in the first place. But there is something different about you. His eyes dart towards the crutches carelessly thrown to your side. He quickly looks away before you notice, as he didn't want to make you anymore uncomfortable than already are.

"Do you mind if I take a look at your sketches?" Koichi sounded really embarrassed, you can't seem to say no. 

"Sure." You murmur as you hesitantly pass the sketchbook to him and he flips through it. His eyes light up in astonishment.

"Wow! You're really good." He compliments your drawings, but then pauses at the rough sketch you drew of him just now.

  His thin limbs are thrown out at weird angles as his body is suspended within midair. Your image is indescribably accurate and detailed, but you watch as the boy's shoulders droop down slightly. He thinks that he doesn't look particularly strong or well-grounded, which is what he wanted to be. He stares at it for a little while longer before meeting your eager expression.

"Ahaha, I'm sorry." he whispers suddenly as he rubs his head slightly with both hands.

"Why are you apologising?" you mumble with a confused tone and his lips curl up in a small smile.

" You're such a great artist, but I don't seem to be showing that off as a model." he jokes partially, but you detect a little sadness in his wavering voice. "There really is nothing to me."

"I actually...admire you a whole lot." you smile timidly as you motion towards the lively court. "After all, you have such amazing teammates, and you're working your hardest to better yourself for them. That's really amazing. It shows people like me that life isn't just about living." 

   You motion to the crutches beside you with a careless shrug as if you want to prove your point about him being worth more than he thinks himself. Your words strike him deeply, and he quickly looks away and lets out a small chuckle to mask the lump that is growing in his throat. He furiously blinks away the tears and stands up with his fist clenched tightly to his sides. He turns his jaw towards you before pumping a fist up energetically.

"Thanks, (Your Name)."