Chapter 39

I walk inside and hear nothing but the sweet humming of an angel. I felt terrible for fighting with Demi. I walk upstairs and knock on the door. It was 11:56 at night. She sometimes had trouble sleeping and making music was an outlet to her; it helped her go to sleep. The humming stopped when I knocked. I heard Momo's heavy breathing through the door.

"Demi, I know you're awake. Let me in." I said in a hush tone. I waited for her and 2 minutes later, her head peaks out the door.

"What?" She said. Her eyes were red but there were no tears.

"Were you crying?"

"Yeah. So?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you."

"I'm not mad. I'm disappointed that you didn't tell me. I thought we told each other everything."

"We do. It was weird putting it in words. Oh hi Demi. I'm just going to run a little errand for Blanche. She wants me to take a picture of her husband with a prostitute. Would you like a copy of the photo?" I saw her little bright teeth and her cheeks move upwards. "That's the smile I wanted to see. It's okay if you don't want me to sleep with you tonight. I'll just go downstairs...on the cold lonely couch...alone..with no one to cuddle with." I hear her laugh as I slowly walk down the stairs.

"Ok. You can come in. But no more secrets." I smiled and jogged upstairs. I gave her a tight hug and looked down. Her stomach had a slight bump and it made me happy that I knew my child was with her. She lays down beside me and I stay cuddled with her. Then I remember that we had an appointment with Dr. Hernandez the next day.

      "Hello, Ryan. Demi." Hernandez said in an excited tone. His legs were crossed and he was fixing the chain on his gold pocket watch. We say hello and take a seat. He got right down to business. "So first off, let me tell you how sorry I am for your sister Ryan. How have you been?" I looked at the palms of my hands and after a moment of thinking I spoke.

"It could be better, but I won't let it from stopping me.

"Good. Good to hear that." He nods and fixes the collar on his shirt. Then he looks at Demi. "So in the time that you had off from me, have there been any sexual contact?" We look at each other and shark our heads.

"No. I guess we just...Didn't feel the need to. We've had times when we just wanted to cuddle." Demi replies. Hernandez nods and looks at me.

"And what about you Ryan? Do you feel the same way?" I nod.

"I just wanted to be there for her. I haven't had any feelings in a while except love for her, which I guess is good."

"It is good, Ryan. The exercises are working. You have had all these sexual fantasies fulfilled and now that your lust has been taken over by love and compassion instead. I'm very pleased with this improvement." I look out the corner of my eye and see Demi smiling. "For your next assignment. I want you to talk to each other. I want you to tell each other something that you love about them, something that you think is unique and priceless." I look at Demi who looks at me.

"Okay. That sounds fun." She says taking my hand.

"Good,good. I hope you enjoy it and Demi, I like the hair." She smiles and strokes her blue locks. My mother never even noticed it when she saw Demi at the hospital. She was too busy sobbing. When our meeting was over, I took Demi back home and massaged her feet. "Mmmm that's the spot." I gulped and brought her foot closer to me. Her little moans and sighs of relief were all overwhelming.

"So what do you think about Hernandez? Do you think he was right about our improvement?"

"Yeah. He's a good Dr." I reply. She smiles and lays her head back on her pillow. She stretches her arms and I get a glimpse of her belly button. I smile and make my way beside her. She makes circles with her fingers on my chest and looks up at me. I smile and move in closer to her.

"I love how warm you are." She whispers. "And you're such a great listener. Besides my family, you were the only one who actually tried to help me through my issues."

"You know what I love about you?" She shakes her head and bites her lip. "I love the way you smile. You have the brightest teeth in the world and the most beautiful smile. I love the way you close one eye and look up with the other when you're thinking of something. I love the way you laugh because it's so contagious and I don't care if you think it's annoying." I get up and grab the black box from my hiding place and kneel beside the bed. Demi sits up and looks confused. "I love the way you feel at night; when I hold you in my arms it's like heaven. When I wake up in the morning, I love seeing your face and I love your little snores. I like the way you dance when you cook and I love the way you connect with animals. I can't express my love for you enough. I want to be with you forever. Demetria Devonne Lovato, will you marry me?"

Her eyes were red with tears. She covered her mouth and kept looking at the opened box. please answer me