Chapter 14

Eddie and I are making breakfast in the kitchen when I hear the pitter-patter of footsteps coming down the stairs. Demi was in a big sweater with a pair of boxer shorts and her hair was swept to the side. "Morning." She said wiping her eyes and yawning. "Morning love." I say kissing her forehead. Eddie smiles and shakes Demi's head with his large hand. We scramble eggs, flip bacon and make Belgian waffles. I feel little hands playfully hitting the back of my shin and realize it is Oliver. "Dad, where's Maddie? Isn't she supposed to be home today?" Demi asks. "She's at a friends house. Don't worry you'll see her soon." Eddie says. "Who's Maddie?" I ask. "That's my little sister." Demi replies in a smile.

     I pet Oliver and watch as Demi runs around the house, playing fetch with the dog. "If I would have know any better, I'd think Demi loves dogs more than she loves people." Eddie says with a chuckle. "I love pets too. Do you have any problems with Oliver?" I ask Eddie. I wait until he finishes smacking on a piece of fruit. "No, Oliver is a really good dog. He's small and a great family pet.

     I smile in agreement and watch as Demi plays with Oliver. "She hasn't really seen Oliver in a while. Since she lives pretty far away from us, she misses having a pet around. This has probably been her first time seeing Oliver in months." He tells me. I watch as Dianna comes down the stairs and spontaneously sings random tunes. I laugh and place the food on the plates. We all eat around the table and when I go in the kitchen to get something to drink, Dianna appears next to me.

     "Ryan, I have to ask you something." She says. "Sure, what is it?" I ask. "It's about Demi. She says that you make her feel safe, but I'm worried that she's afraid of her old boyfriend coming back to hurt her. Do you think you could talk to her, maybe ease her mind for me?" I look at her with sadness in my eyes. Receiving this type of news while watching Demi have fun with her family was too much to bare.

      "Demi, can I talk to you for a sec?" I ask. She nods and we enter the kitchen alone. "You're not still worried about your ex are you?" I ask. Her face immediately changes. "Why would you even bring him up? We were having such a nice time." She says. This is the first time I ever seen Demi get mad at me.

      I felt bad but then again, I was a little turned on by it. "I'm sorry, your mom is worried and so am I. You know I will protect you right?" I ask. She nods and places her head on my chest. "He's in jail anyway so I don't have to worry." She whispers into my chest."I've been meaning to ask you something." I say, trying to change there subject.

  - "What?"

  - "Well, we've been going out for a pretty good amount of time and I was wondering if you would like to move in together."

  - "You want to move in with me?"

  - "I was thinking maybe you would want to move in with me." I wait for her answer.

  - "Yeah. I think that's a great idea. She says smiling at me.

  - "Good. I don't want to make you feel pressured into doing this." We walk back into the dining room and sit back down.

     After hanging around for a couple of hours, we said our goodbyes and went back to my place. "So, should I try to pack now?" She asks. "Do whatever you feel like doing. Remember, I didn't want to rush you, so just take your time." I tell her. She paces back and forth as slow as a turtle.

    One eye is closed while the other is looking up into the ceiling and her lips are moved to the side a tad bit. I thought her thinking face was the cutest thing I have ever seen. "Ryan, you realize we have been going out for eight months?" She asks. "Yeah Demi. Why?" She stops pacing and looks at me. "This is a good time to start moving in then. I'm ready to do it now. Let's call a moving company." She says in excitement. I smile at how happy she is. "Okay, we can call them right now. Maybe I can ask Kyle and Chris if they want to help too." Just then, I hear an abrupt banging at the door.