Chapter 27

"Okay, keep that on."

"I'm not touching it Demi."

"I don't believe you." She tightens the bandana over my eyes. I feel my way to the car and hear her slam the door. I find the handle and enter the car slowly. We drive for a couple of minutes and I feel the car come to a stop.

   "Right this way sir." A man says. I still have the blindfold on and feel delicate hands unfold my bandana.

"Happy Birthday!" They shout in unison. I look around and see nothing but games. The ground that I stepped on was a light up Twister board, the ceiling was a game of Star Wars, I spot all different types of games. Temple Run where the person actually had to run and jump over things, Flappy Bird on a gigantic plasma screen and so much more.

"Whoa. Uh, I think I might be in heaven."

"Do you like it, do you like it?" Erica asks. "My mommy took me to hear when I was littler." I laughed and looked at Demi.

"I know you like games so, Erica helped me pick out the place. Happy birthday baby. I hope you enjoy it."

    I give her a hug and she immediately takes me to the Temple Run game. I loved how competitive Demi got while playing games.

"Best two out of three!" She said. Just then my mother walked in. I had gotten a call from her a couple of days ago. She said happy birthday to me but I couldn't tell if she was tired or not interested. It was strange seeing her come into this establishment. It was like watching a dog walk into a room full of playful kittens. She walked in our direction, clutching to her bag.

     "Happy Birthday, Ryan." She held out her hands to hug me.

"I'm surprised you came, I wouldn't think you would make it."

"Oh please, Ryan. I know you may think I'm the worst mother on the planet but just pretend you're happy to see me here."

"I am happy to see you here. Just try not to start any problems."

"I'll do my best. And your father says Happy Birthday as well. He says he is sorry he couldn't make it."I nod and  Demi and I continue or competition as everyone else does their own thing. I never really minded that my dad didn't come to my birthday parties or special events but it wasn't time to think about that. I play a couple of games with Erica and loved hearing how happy she sounded.

    After that we go to a restaurant to eat dinner and head home afterwards. I pick Momo up from Amy and thank her. I carry Erica

to bed and lay beside Demi on the couch.

"Ready for tomorrow?" She asks.

"Yeah. Definitely." No not at all.

"I made an appointement for Dr. Hernandez at 12 o'clock."

"That's fine. By the way, I saw this episode. Gerald did it." Demi looks at me and playfully slaps my arm.

"Thanks Ryan. Sometimes you can be an ass and I promise you, I mean that in the nicest way."

"Sometimes I think your cooking came out of Shrek's swamp and I promise, I mean that in the nicest way. How does it feel?" We both laugh and after a moment of silence, she says, "You do like my cooking though?" I chuckle to myself.

"Better than what Mama used to make." I kiss her for head and we continue to watch crime shows.