Chapter 2

The day I took Demi home was probably the best day I had ever had with a girl. We talked and made jokes and laughed at anything and everything. Her smile made my day, her laugh made me want to laugh. I can't even remember all the things we talked about but what I do remember is that she laughed at my corny jokes. I remember dropping her off at home and waving goodbye to her. I waited until she had entered her house then I drove off. When I drove off, I just laughed the whole way through. The thought of her just made me smile until my cheeks hurt. Then I fell asleep peacefully. Demi did not become an acquaintance that day, she became a friend. Everyday we saw each other. I would visit her house and make desserts with her or she would go to my house and we would watch movies together. The next couple of weeks, Demi and I had gotten very close. She told me her deepest thoughts and secrets. She told me about her idiot boyfriend who she was with when we began hanging out. He told her that she was not supposed to see me again. I could spot all the places that he had hit her. On her back and on her upper legs. She said the bruises go away fast but I'll remember them for the rest of my life. That's one of the reasons why I want to stay strong for her. She's been through so much. She also told me about the girlfriend she had for about two months. After about three months, we started sleeping over at each others houses. I came over to her place one night. "Hey Demi", I said. "Hey", She replied. "You got the movie?" I asked with a sheepish smile. "Of course!" I take my place on the couch as she heads upstairs to the bathroom. I wait for an hour, then I wait for another hour. I finally gave up waiting and went upstairs. I go to knock on the bathroom door but I hear little sobs. Sobs that sounded like the day I first met Demi. It broke my heart and took me back to the time when we were drunk. We promised each other we wouldn't drink like that ever again and now, standing behind the bathroom door, I felt like she had backed out on her word. I open the door and see Demi in front of the toilet. She is scrunched up into a little ball sitting upright, her knees to her chest, gripping her legs tightly. I walk quietly behind her, sit down and hold her from behind. "Demi." I whispered. "I didn't do it." She teared. "I know you didnt, I'm proud of you." I tell her. "I didn't do it." She says again. "I know, Demi, I know." I hold her still, getting ready to stand up but she stops me. "Please stay." She says with red eyes.

  - "I wasn't going to leave you. I wanted to take you to bed."

  - "No. Just... Just stay here please." I take my seat behind her once again, my arms wrapped around her waist and hold her tight. It was the best feeling I have ever felt, just sitting there holding her, comforting her. The rustling in my ear woke me up. The time was 3:22 p.m. and I had no idea where I was. I want to move but I feel something soft underneath my fingers. I remember yesterday and the tears that formed in my eyes when I held Demi. I felt sorry for her. I move her closer to me and feel her wiggle in my grip. She slides her hand on top of mine. Our fingers intertwine, she holds me tight and says "Thank you" in a soft tone.