Part Fifty-Two: Hearts On The Edge Of Breaking

Start from the beginning

"No, thanks I'm fine." I replied as I started cutting the oranges into halves, doing my best to avoid looking at her.

"Your face looks pale, are you sick?" she got up from her place and walked to me, placing the back of her hand on my forehead to test my temperature.

"Yeah yeah, I'm fine don't worry. Just a slight headache." I gave her a small smile and then looked away immediately so she won't suspect anything. She stood next to me, watching me cutting the oranges. I tried to say something to start a conversation with her but I couldn't. I wasn't able to say a word. My tears were flooding in my eyes and threatening to fall at any second.

An awkward silent filled the place, before Perrie broke it. "Morning, babe." she exclaimed happily. I lifted my eyes from the oranges and looked at the door, seeing shirtless Zayn walking into the kitchen and Perrie heading to him.

"Morning," he replied to her, nervousness obvious in his voice. Perrie threw her arms around him and hugged him. My heart hitched inside my chest at the scene but I managed to hold back the pain. Zayn looked at me over her shoulder and our eyes met for a second, causing my hands to tremble at the contact. I broke the gaze immediately and went back to cutting the oranges, but my hands were shaking so I cut my finger accidentally.

"Shit," I groaned in pain, throwing the knife on the table and squeezing my wounded finger as blood started floating slightly from it.

"Are you okay?" Zayn panicked and walked to me, grabbing my hand and taking a look at my finger.

"Yes, thanks I'm fine." I pulled my hand violently from his and walked to the sink, opening the cold water over the wound.

"Oh my god, do you want anything?" Perrie walked to me but she was being stopped by Zayn's voice,

"Go and wear something else." He ordered pettishly, glaring at her with dark eyes.

"Okay," she smiled nervously to us then headed upstairs.

"Let me see it," Zayn turned to face me when he made sure Perrie left the kitchen.

"No, just stay away from me I'm fine." I ignored him and continued cleaning the wound.

"Babe, let me see it." he requested sweetly as he stood next to me. I ignored him again without even looking at him.

"Lauren, listen… um, I'm… I'm so sorry." He apologized nervously as he lifted his hand up and brushed my cheek.

"No, it's okay really." I said as I closed the water after the blood stopped floating, my eyes still not meeting his.

"Would you please look at me." He pleaded angrily as dropped his hand from my face.

"What?" I forced myself to answer and look at him, putting a smile on my face

"She… Perrie, I.. I didn't know.. she just showed up.. " he stammered, scratching the back of his neck.

"Naked? And in your bed? Is that how she showed up?" I raised an eyebrow, making sure to control my feelings so I won't cry in front of him.

"No, I.. she.. " he stuttered, his face turning red.

"That's what I thought." I laughed sarcastically and went back to making the breakfast.

"Lauren please, just listen.. I.. I couldn't stop her, I was.. I couldn't control myself" he looked at the ground, embarrassed of what he's saying

"You're pathetic." I mumbled as I shook my head in disgust, feeling my heart racing rapidly in my chest. My breath became heavy, indicating me that my tears are about to fall.  I whirled around to leave before I start crying in front of him, but I was held back by his grip.