||9||

Michael rolled over on his bed the next morning. He checked his alarm and closed his eyes once realising he had fifteen minutes left to sleep. Before he could drift off, he heard his bedroom door open, as his parents entered, singing happy birthday.

The senior yawned, and smiled lazily, as his six-foot body hanged over the bed, nearly kicking his dog. Michael sat up and smiled at his Mum who carried a cake shaped as a basketball, with three candles.

"Thanks, guys", he grinned, blowing the candles.

"My baby is 18! Happy birthday, honey", Karen smiled, kissing his forehead.

"Happy Birthday son", Daryl stated, walking forward.

Michael grinned. "Thank you."

"We've already got a crew downstairs setting up for your party tonight!", Karen beamed.

"Yes! A party isn't just any party in a Clifford household. Get ready for school Michael. By the time you get home, everything will be ready."

Michael smiled and got out of bed. The fresh eighteen years old looked like a giant compared to his parents. He took the cake from his mum, and pinched some icing before and kissing her on the cheek.

"You guys didn't have to do all of this."

"Oh don't be so silly", Karen spoke, taking the sweet food out of Michael's hands, knowing it was too early for sugar.

"There are fruit and cereal downstairs", she said, giving him a warning look.

"Mum", Michael whined.

Karen shook her head walking out of the room.

"Dad?", Michael asked.

"Listen to your mother", he smirked, following after her.

Michael laughed, sitting back down on his bed. He checked his phone, skimming through the many birthday messages on his screen.

calum 

happy birthday Cinderella

ashton

happy birthday Mikey!!!!

He giggled quietly, stopping at Luke's message.

Luke

happy birthday :-)

He decided to reply.

Michael

thank you. can't wait to see you today :)

---

Neil watched carefully as Mrs Hemmings pushed Luke down the small ramp in the boot of her car.

"Thanks", Luke said quickly, adjusting his blue shirt with a collar. 

Neil smiled at his friend, before hearing the music blasting from the house across the street.

"Okay, boys. Have fun and no drinking you", she pointed at the blond in the wheelchair.

"Yes ma", he sighed, moving forward as she got in the car. He turned to face Neil.

"Bye Mrs Hemmings!", Neil waved.

"How do I look?"

"You look good Luke", he answered honestly. "You ready?"

"Nope. But let's go", he took a deep breath as they crossed the street, the sound of music and teenagers growing.

They moved up the front path, pass couples making out, and two guys smoking on the front porch.