60 - No More Jeff

"Why warn us?" I ask Firebrand.

"Because he's your friend. And gone bonkers or not, he still matters to you, I'm guessing. And I'm also guessing you don't want to die or fight him, so I came here to help."

"Because you're just that nice." Evan's voice is flat.

"Sure, whatever, but you gotta hide Vinny and y/n right now."

"See, about that," I begin. "Habit is inside me now."

Firebrand's dark eyes widen and he shakes his head. "Okay then. Get Vinny and Evan to safety. Now. Because these Dogs aren't screwing around."

"Go," I say to the boys. "Hurry."

"Not without you," Vinny says.

"I'll be fine, go!" I hiss.

Evan hands me his emergency machete (of course he has it with him) and then runs deeper into the house with Vinny on his heels. I beckon Firebrand into the house with me and lock the door.

"Can you please make sure that they make it to safety?" I ask him.

He grunts and runs in the direction they went. I head back to the kitchen and my blood runs cold. Jeff is perched on the edge of the table, a look of amusement in his dark eyes. His skin is deathly pale, but I bet all ghost's are.

"Hello, y/n," he says. "Or should I call you Habit?"

I don't say anything.

"What's wrong? Rabbit got your tongue?" he laughs.

"What happened to you?" I ask.

"I woke up, I died, now I'm getting revenge for what was so brutally stolen from me," he says, his voice a growl.

Let me take over, Habit pleads.

That's just what he wants.

Oh well, y/n, please! I can't lose you.

"You're our friend, why are you doing this?"

"No one stopped Habit when he killed me. No one, not even Evan. So now I'm gonna kill Habit."

"You can't! Not only has Evan tried that, but now I'm the one who's inhabited."

"Oh well. Guess I'm glad I don't know you," Jeff  -  no, the monster, says.

Let me take control!

I wish there was another way. But he leaves me with no choice ...

I let Habit take control.

And that's when the Dogs come.